Remaining in situ as a tenant beyond a section 21 notice

Can't type for toffee
Don
If you refuse to move out then landlord has to take you to court which would take at least another 3 months surely.

What an utter ballache for all involved

it’s inconvenient for you sure but it’s their property, don’t be that person. Be an adult and have the conversation.

I'd be going with this

you never know if the LL is selling up and you've been a model tenants for xyz you may even receive a bit of a discount (Not all LLs are scum)

Soldato
What an utter ballache for all involved

I'd be going with this

you never know if the LL is selling up and you've been a model tenants for xyz you may even receive a bit of a discount (Not all LLs are scum)

Exactly - you don’t know their reasons and for someone to do something selfish and forcing them to have to take you to court etc, could have a large impact on their lives.

Soldato
What do you do if he takes you to court for the extra rent and any loss incurred. How does the mortgage scenario look with a pending case or, at worst, a CCJ eventually.

Associate
OP
Thank you all. I'm up to date with rent as I work through this with my landlord.

We viewed a very promising property with no onward chain that went on the market Saturday 30th July. We viewed it Monday 1st August. Tuesday 2nd August it was sold STC. We weren't fast enough.

We're now offering an extra 10g above asking price, as we made the error of not being immediate in our offer, but it's harsh times.

I've now seen disgusting properties that I wouldn't wish on myself from my student days, yet being more expensive than something 'nice' by today's standards and way above the standard of the property I'm currently renting,

Going by modern day prices, the asking price and property I have access to are vile, the area is vile. Staying put renting at all costs, incurring w/e penalty from my landlord / credit penalty, is looking reasonable.

Can't type for toffee
Don
@Vexr depending on the property price you may find that the current offer is already considerably over asking think 10-15% over asking is the current "norm" on any semi desirable property.

As for the penalties bit at the end of your post, is that wise? if you're looking to buy and needing a mortgage the last thing u need is your credit rating to tank or have a ccj on it.

have you spoke to the landlord about all of this?

Also have you thought of moving out of the area? some areas have ridiculous prices whereas a quick 10min drive and prices are much better.

does depend on work and if you can drive tho :(

The whole buying/selling market is a nightmare at the moment, we've just lost out on our 2nd new build because of buyers being *****s

Back
Top Bottom