Remember remember sometime around the beginning of November

Soldato
I also don't mind people doing it on Diwali and 5th November, don't see why every night in between needs them as well. I'd rather it was just on those 2 days alone.

Soldato
That's one thing I'm glad I don't hear anymore. WW2 outside my house for 3 weeks and having to pick up used fireworks from my back garden.

I'm enjoying the piece and quiet now during these times :)

Yup, don’t miss it sounding like the USMC’s battle for Fallujah for 3 weeks in NE London.

Used to be a few fireworks in ours and the neighbour’s gardens on the 5th and a big weekend firework do at the rugby club at the top of my road growing up in rural Hertfordshire in the 1970s.

Now, I could probably hear the local Bastille Day fireworks from my house if the wind was blowing in the right direction. As it’s big feast and celebration, I was there anyway! :D

Soldato
Where i live any fireworks cause lots of issues with locals that have horses or stables and other animals. Since the weekend someone has started a petition to ban the sale of fireworks and another to force events to have licenses.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
We had the pleasure of some morons setting off loud rockets every 5 minutes for an hour at 11pm. Just as we were laying down to sleep and the dog had started to relax again.

Man of Honour
It's about time that fireworks were banned from sale to the public. If you want to see fireworks then go to a organised display. Just look at all the trouble in Leeds and other parts of the country last night. Fireworks are a pain for those of us with pets. We have two cats and are terrified by fireworks. It's not even one night anymore and drags out over several nights. We even had idiots letting them off in daylight over the weekend.

Soldato
It's about time that fireworks were banned from sale to the public. If you want to see fireworks then go to a organised display. Just look at all the trouble in Leeds and other parts of the country last night. Fireworks are a pain for those of us with pets. We have two cats and are terrified by fireworks. It's not even one night anymore and drags out over several nights. We even had idiots letting them off in daylight over the weekend.

Its scummy people who cant behave, watch them all come out again over New Years.

Soldato
I couldn't even get my dude to do a ****. Every time he sniffed out the perfect spot to curl one out and assumed the position to start the squeeze BANG! BANG! BANG! and he's then tail down, heading for the nearest corner to whimper. All he needed was about 120 seconds to get the whole process done. Been a drama every day for the past 6 days, I've had to take him out for his walks in the last remaining daylight before shutting him away in the house with classical FM/LBC blasting out the radio to drown out the PTSD inducing flashing lights and booming explosions. My other dog and cats don't care tbh, so it's not all creatures. They don't bark like that ******** yorkie above, so they don't deserve it.

I agree with the other posters - keep it to the days where the celebrations are called for not a whole week, but let's be honest it goes on for a month these days.

Man of Honour
Yup, don’t miss it sounding like the USMC’s battle for Fallujah for 3 weeks in NE London.

Heh I have a video from last year - relatively small golf club did a display behind the house I was living in then - it was literally like a battle was raging including percussive booms that were actually rattling stuff.

I actually miss it living where I am now as pretty much no one in the village does any real fireworks due to proximity to live stock, etc. and the nearest built up areas are several miles away.

My other dog and cats don't care tbh, so it's not all creatures.

Kind of funny an acquaintances dogs two of them don't even react after the first couple - they kind of look towards their owner and seemingly if he isn't phased they don't worry - while the 3rd starts barking at even very distant fireworks and kind of unsettled (actually kind of funny as I couldn't even hear them but could see the flashes but it was setting the dog off - in that every time the dog reacted I'd know if I looked out I'd see the fireworks).

Soldato

100%! Our dog never used to be scared, but the last couple years he shakes when they're going off, especially this year as it was non stop bangs from about 5pm until after midnight. The two cats were terrified all night and one gets stressed easily anyway. I built a blanket fort under the table and the dog and cats kept each other company there last night.

Came out this morning to find the sunroof had been smashed on my missus's car as well. I looked back at the CCTV and a firework hit it at about 7pm last night so thanks to some idiot neighbour, we were both late for work this morning and now have to pay out for the excess on the insurance as well.

There is zero need for the public to have them, they're a nuisance and just cause damage and rubbish. If you want to see them, go to a display.

I couldn't even get my dude to do a ****.

Mine wouldn't leave the house to go into the garden until nearly 1am when it had quietened down so didn't go to toilet all evening. It's been constant for the last week so getting him outside is a nightmare.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I grew up in the 1970's and Guy Fawkes night was huge back then. I think it has dwindled and evolved for several reasons. Because of so many injuries it became harder to buy fireworks and socially less acceptable for local communities to put on their own events. When I was a kid all the parents in the surrounding streets would collect wood and pile it into a bonfire. We would pool our families fireworks and then on 5th November every year everyone would go to the field, set fire to the bonfire and let off the fireworks. Nowadays if you did that the fire brigade would be called. So people had little choice but to start going to (expensive and less fun) organised events.

There are still a lot of community small fireworks in almost every village out in West Oxfordshire, we have been to 2 this year and will be going to a couple more. Some even get a couple of (small) fairground rides in. I guess they are more organised than you portray from the 70s...but that has to be a good thing in terms of there being a bit of catering and a bit of organisation.

Really nice time of year imo, i am all for there being more displays over a week or so period. It gives my little boy the chance to have a couple of "treat" late nights out (8pm or so :p) and see a few different takes on it all with a hot chocolate and his winter clothes on.

Soldato
I dont see the point in home firework displays they're normally rubbish with a few low quality fireworks that you don't see properly and no real pattern. Went to the display in Leyland that was properly organised, big bonfire, funfair, food and drink and a really good display with music choreography. Great atmosphere and really was a fun evening. Wouldn't have got that at home. Yes it's fun lighting a firework but it wears thin after a while.

Man of Honour
Oh right, I nicked the image from a friend on Facebook.

A little yapping b****** who is noisier than a jet engine from mid-November until the end of October has apparently just decided that he doesn’t like loud noises.

Tyson the Yorkshire Terrier’s owner Michelle Garridge has slammed people in her area who are letting off fireworks and terrorising her pet, even though he regularly keeps them all awake until 2am because he may or may not have seen a cat three streets away.

She added, ‘Why do fireworks have to make a loud noise when they go off? Hasn’t someone invented silent gunpowder get?’

‘Poor little Tysey Wysey Woo Woo is a very delicate soul, and the only reason that he barks at everyone and everything is that he is expressing his individuality.’

‘To think that people want to literally force him to poo himself is just devastating to me.’

‘I have toddlers as well. Would it be too much to ask for people to finish letting them all off by 3pm so I have time to give them dinner and sort out bedtime?’

Dr Fanjita Queef is head of sociological social studies at the University of West Southend, and she told us that people who complain about fireworks are often the same people who moan about the World Cup moving Coronation Street for four weeks out of every 208.

She added, ‘These individuals can often be spotted on Facebook in mid-June giving the impression that being forced to wait until 9.45pm for Corrie is just as traumatic as having a kidney removed.’

‘FIFA are due to debate the possibility of introducing soap breaks during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, with those actually attending the matches getting Coronation Street and Eastenders beamed live onto giant screens.’

Back
Top Bottom