Remote USB ports from MB I/O.

Associate
I've started gathering together some parts for a new build. I've decided to build a new "case" too. I say "case" because my current build is in a custom made wood enclosure I built as a support for one side of my desk.

One of the issues I've had with my current build is a shortage of decent USB connections. Because the enclosure is part of my desk I have to go crawling around on the floor if I want access to the MB rear panel. I've been looking for a usb panel with flying leads that I can mount remotely and just plug into the back of the MB, but can't see anything. I can see panels that will connect to the MB headers, but most of the good ports are on the back panel. I've also considered making my own panel using panel mounted USB extension cables, but I can't see anything suitable for mounting in 15mm or 18mm thick wood. Also, I can't find any extension leads with the red USB 3.2 10Gbps connectors, as I'd like to keep the same colour codes as the MB. I even considered buying some PCB mountable ports and making my own PCB, but again, can't find the red connectors.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Associate
So are you wanting to have a long extension cable that runs directly from the header of the motherboard and ends in a faceplate that you can mount somewhere ?

If you don't need the full speed, then whats wrong with using a decent speed hub plugged into a decent speed port on the back of the motherboard ? A quick google-fu shows a slot of surface mount / inset mount / in desk mount hubs out there that look like they would suit a custom build to be added to a desk.

Associate
...I've also considered making my own panel using panel mounted USB extension cables, but I can't see anything suitable for mounting in 15mm or 18mm thick wood...
Mount the connectors on a sub-panel of some thinner material (aluminium, brass, plywood etc.), then mount the sub-panel to the thick wood.

...Also, I can't find any extension leads with the red USB 3.2 10Gbps connectors, as I'd like to keep the same colour codes as the MB. I even considered buying some PCB mountable ports and making my own PCB, but again, can't find the red connectors...
Paint?

Associate
OP
So are you wanting to have a long extension cable that runs directly from the header of the motherboard and ends in a faceplate that you can mount somewhere ?

Yes, but from the rear I/O panel, not the motherboard headers.

If you don't need the full speed, then whats wrong with using a decent speed hub plugged into a decent speed port on the back of the motherboard ? A quick google-fu shows a slot of surface mount / inset mount / in desk mount hubs out there that look like they would suit a custom build to be added to a desk.

I want the full speed. I have three 10Gbps Type A ports and one 20Gbps Type C port on the back of my motherboard. Seems a shame to waste them when the internal motherboard headers only offer two 5Gbps type A and one 10Gbps type C.

Mount the connectors on a sub-panel of some thinner material (aluminium, brass, plywood etc.), then mount the sub-panel to the thick wood.

I was heading that way but now I can't find 10gbps type A or 20gbps type C extension cables.

In fact, I can't find many devices that would use the extra speed anyway, so maybe I'm wasting my time with this plan lol

Associate
I was heading that way but now I can't find 10gbps type A or 20gbps type C extension cables.

Nor can I having a look ... its mainly just looks like its labelled as usb3.

I see that you can get round flush mount extensions.. Generally they use 25mm holes, but if you are worried about the depth, then drill a larger hole from the underside so that the thickness of the wood is reduced around the 25mm hole. this would let you use the clamp rings in the kit around the 25mm hole. ( does that make sense )

In fact, I can't find many devices that would use the extra speed anyway, so maybe I'm wasting my time with this plan lol

Well, thats kind of what I was hinting at. Do you actually need the speed ? If it was that fast a device, I would want it directly into the back I/O, and it would likely be a permanent feature, so crawling under the desk will wont be that much fuss.

If its just for plugging in USB drives, cameras, phones etc, then I would rather have a hub which would also had SD card slots in it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nor can I having a look ... its mainly just looks like its labelled as usb3.

I see that you can get round flush mount extensions.. Generally they use 25mm holes, but if you are worried about the depth, then drill a larger hole from the underside so that the thickness of the wood is reduced around the 25mm hole. this would let you use the clamp rings in the kit around the 25mm hole. ( does that make sense )

Well, thats kind of what I was hinting at. Do you actually need the speed ? If it was that fast a device, I would want it directly into the back I/O, and it would likely be a permanent feature, so crawling under the desk will wont be that much fuss.

If its just for plugging in USB drives, cameras, phones etc, then I would rather have a hub which would also had SD card slots in it.

Yes, makes perfect sense. Probably the way I'm going to go after spending a few hours trying to find what I want.

Looks like a USB 3.0 (3.2 gen1 ?, superspeed??, superspeed 5Gbps???) extension might work at 10Gbps if the cable is good enough quality. As for the 20Gbps port, I can't see anything that would use it, so a 10Gbps Type C extension will probably do the job. I can always upgrade later if I need to.

All I need to get started now is a graphics card...:(

Back
Top Bottom