Removing bathroom floor and wall tiles...

Associate
Hey guys,

Any tips, pro tools to make the job easier? Going to do the demo part of bathroom renovation myself to save some costs.

Currently have dustmask, goggles, earplugs, a bolster and a lump hammer! (oh and garden spade which worked well on bitumen welded down Marley tiles in the living room)

Thinking something more intricate will be needed for the tiled stud wall so I don't smash through it, but any tips would be good.

Associate
SDS drill that can do "Hammer only" with a chisel bit?

If you're doing that, tape up any doors elsewhere in the house. The dust gets everywhere.

Associate
OP
@booyaka was thinking as much

@Haze Sound of metal lump on bolster leaves the ears ringing after a minute, so don't fancy the whole room without earplugs lol

@skyripper don't own an SDS, just standard Dewalt drill with masonry and HSS options, may have to look into a cheap one!

Soldato
A shovel works surprisingly well to get tiles off once you get the first few off as you can get plenty power behind it. If you're taking the wall down do you need the tiles off first or are you talking about the other walls?

Soldato
SDS drill that can do "Hammer only" with a chisel bit?

If you're doing that, tape up any doors elsewhere in the house. The dust gets everywhere.
as I found out last night, shut the doors to all bedrooms, including the one I was in making a chase up the wall, but it still somehow got through to the next bedroom :(

Soldato
Thinking something more intricate will be needed for the tiled stud wall so I don't smash through it, but any tips would be good.

Why not rip the lot down and put new plasterboard up? So much quicker and you will have a smooth wall afterwards.
And you may even be able to route pipes through the void space.

Associate
Why not rip the lot down and put new plasterboard up? So much quicker and you will have a smooth wall afterwards.
And you may even be able to route pipes through the void space.

This would be my suggestion for the stud wall(s). Other than that, definitely tape up the doors to try and stop the dust spreading.

Associate
OP says "bolster and a lump hammer" he didn't mention power tools.

Another vote for taping up the room. I'm on to my second bathroom, ( mine though were old lime plaster not boarded ) and i'm still clearing the dust from the first project.

I'd also get some gloves, tiles when smashed are very sharp :(

Associate
I wouldn't say it's being a wimp to value your hearing. I would also wear goggles and ear plugs as OP, as above gloves also a good shout.

Associate
OP
I removed the plaster off fireplace to expose brick archway and chimney breast with bolster and lump hammer, the repetitive metal on metal left the ears ringing after 10 minutes, so always wear earplugs as matter of course now.

Thanks for advice too, will pick up some gloves, and tape up surrounding doors!

If I damage the stud wall i'll probably end up just smashing the whole thing off for new plasterboard.

Soldato
If it's a stud wall should be easy as the plasterboard\whatever is behind can come off too.

I had an entire room with tiles sand and cemented onto masonary - was an absolute nightmare even with a decent SDS as they never came off whole.

Back
Top Bottom