Removing unused satellite and freeview cables and making good

Soldato
Man of Honour
If you haven't run UTP cable around your house internally, I'd suggest using the coax routes/holes to do it externally.

If you don't want to do that, then I'd just do as you've suggest and use appropriate filler either side. You might have a void anyway if you have a cavity exterior wall, but if you're worried about the hollow "void", you could always just cut the cable at either side, leave it in and just fill over the top :p

:edit: just spotted your other thread about running network cables! I'd definitely try to align them with the existing holes if possible, save yourself the hassle of filling the old and drilling all new.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That would be a good idea, unfortunately what with doing the house up and moving things around, it is just in the wrong location. TV is being moved elsewhere anyway.

This is what we have at the moment (all like this when we moved in):

oQ5VkW8l.jpg

2 x Satellite connections
1 x Freeview aerial
1 x Virgin Media cable

It is as though someone came, drilled TV aerial cable through.

Sky came, and were to lazy too do it properly so just used the same hole.

Virgin came and did the same thing.

No face plates or anything.

We have no use for Sky and if we did, would get a free dish anyway so just going to remove it and the cabling from the house.

TV is being moved anyway as mentioned so even if wanted Freeview, is in the wrong place anyway.

Virgin are coming at the end of the month to fit a new box. Will wink at the installer and give him the good biscuits :D

Associate
That would be a good idea, unfortunately what with doing the house up and moving things around, it is just in the wrong location. TV is being moved elsewhere anyway.

This is what we have at the moment (all like this when we moved in):

oQ5VkW8l.jpg

2 x Satellite connections
1 x Freeview aerial
1 x Virgin Media cable

It is as though someone came, drilled TV aerial cable through.

Sky came, and were to lazy too do it properly so just used the same hole.

Virgin came and did the same thing.

No face plates or anything.

We have no use for Sky and if we did, would get a free dish anyway so just going to remove it and the cabling from the house.

TV is being moved anyway as mentioned so even if wanted Freeview, is in the wrong place anyway.

Virgin are coming at the end of the month to fit a new box. Will wink at the installer and give him the good biscuits :D

Sky/VM installers wouldn't do that so I bet it was a self install.

You don't really get faceplates unless you do it yourself or pay a proper installer extra (VM do install a wall box with isolator or splitter in)

Why would you remove the dish that is pointless you just run new cables off it to a different location it's worth having for freesat or routed in case you use it in future plus Sky charge now it's not free.

VM should install it whatever place you want the only issues can be it has to come from omnibox outside the house to the location in the house so you might have long run of cable inside or outside the house.

Soldato
OP
We do not watch TV that much to be honest so have no need for it. That is why and am doing works to the outside of the house anyway :D

Sky/VM installers wouldn't do that so I bet it was a self install.

Virgin Media only allow "self installs" when there is already a cable feed into the property as far as I know, users are not permitted to install to the omnibox.

Back
Top Bottom