Renovation - Moving Gas and Water Pipes

Associate
Hey all,

I've just purchased an old 1970s semi that has been left mainly neglected since it was built by the previous owners. I've previously done a kitchen thread which I am still looking to sort but now have two more issues!

I've got two main queries with pipes that I need to move and I want to do everything correctly and within regulations!

1. There is a gas pipe which currently runs from the meter under the stairs, in the kitchen through the wall, then all around the kitchen, over doors, round other pipes and then back up into the floor above and up into a modern boiler. Its a 22mm pipe and looks awful and I assume was simply the quickest way and the fitter thought it wouldnt matter as a very old couple lived there previously. I've got two main options I figure for this and didnt know which would be best. Option 1 is to try and feed the pipe up behind the stairs to the floor joists and then run it in the floor to the airing cupboard where the boiler is. Option 2 is to try and cut the floor (solid floor) and chase it out and then to install the pipe in a plastic sleeve. Straight across the floor and then up with the other pipes and box the lot in. Ideas?

2. The rising main comes in under the sink. The pipes then are run crudely in the kitchen cupboards and up in the corner (ish) to the ceiling, under the bathroom above to the airing cupboard and then up to the tanks. Is there a way to chase these pipes into the wall without a problem? I guess they could be changed from copper to something else if this would work correctly? I don't really want to box them in the corner as there is only a little space anyhow!

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post!

Soldato
1. Chase it in the floor and either wrap it in Denso tape (ucky) or the pipe lagging stuff. Plastic on the inside and hesian type product on the outside you just put it on the pipe like a giant johnny.

2. Change the pipe to pvc (you don't have to copper is all well and good) and chase it into the wall.

Tea Drinker
Don
You can do pretty much what you like after the meter it's your responsibility.

Both gas ways sound a pain, what's the most direct route? you'll have to get it pressure tested after any installation, has it got any cast iron pipe or is it copper, reason I say that is you could do all the work and find the cast is leaking which is very likely, over the years joints on cast degrade.

I would get a couple of quotes then ask for a test on what's there, they won't turn it on if it drops bar.

Water pipe is a bit easier, you can rent a chaser with two diamond blades and set the depth the chisel it out, pretty easy then just get some proper copper with soldered joints in the wall, probably EML over then plaster, if you plaster straight over it'll crack with expansion

Associate
OP
The gas run is actually quite new and there is also a newer looking gas connection to the meter so it all looks in pretty good condition. In terms of actually moving the gas pipe I will be getting a friendly plumber in to do the work as I'd make a hash up of it!

Hiring a chaser sounds like a plan though, I've got quite a bit to chase so I will look into that.

Back
Top Bottom