Ren's House Log - First House

Associate
Hey everyone ;)

My name is Ren and together with my partner we bought our first house in February this year.

While the house didn't require immediate repairs there is always a room for improvement to suit us and style we aim to go for. It's a 3 Bed semi-detached house which was built in 1993 so it's fairly "new".

I've had plenty of good advice and help from this forum, enjoy reading other build logs so decided to start my own thread. You might find some parts useful or find answers to your own questions, it also gives me an opportunity to ask some questions and get opinions in one thread instead of creating new ones with every question :D

Up until now I don't have a lot of photos as we document our projects on videos and created a YouTube Channel. From now on though, I will make sure to take more photos as we go along with any projects so I can post here also :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough talking, we picked up our keys and was extremely happy to step inside our first property in February:

Us-Front-of-House.jpg

As mentioned above, unfortunately we didn't take many photos but we have done a "House Tour" video which I invite you to have a look at. The video was done after a month or so of being in the property as we were busy with settling in. Link - http://bit.ly/ourhousetour

Considering we had pretty much nothing furniture wise before moving in (both lived with parents to buy a property instead of renting) the setup up was pretty basic :D Thin foam mattress topper and PC for some entertainment. Had to download films in advance as had no internet for the first week!

First-Set-Up.jpg

Sleeping was okay at first therefore getting a bed and mattress was not a priority :D The only piece of furnishing I really had was a PC desk I got from IKEA, along with Alex drawers which of course was more important setting up than investing into a mattress, right? Oh, XPS 720 became the "gaming chair" of 2019 for me at that point....talk about comfort :D At least it's made of thick Aluminium!

PC-Setup.jpg

After a little while of waking up with massive back aches it was time to invest in a good mattress. We wanted to try Simba mattress but the price tag was a little high, considering the amount of stuff we need for the house.
Talking to a colleague of mine I discovered we can buy an "Ex-Display" Simba mattress for more than half the price, which we did. Borrowed a flatbed vehicle and brought it home:

Company-Flatbed.jpg

Simba.jpg

It was brand new, not a mark on it and I must say we never slept better before. We both in love with the mattress and it's been the best investment (although I say that about a lot of things), saying that, I don't know if I would feel the same if I paid full price for it.
No bed frame yet though...cause...we'll get one sometime later or build one ourselves, I think :D

After moving in, first things we done is of course cleaned the whole house. Including the driveway, got rid of weeds and pressure washed the driveway. From here, we were ready to slowly start doing some work around the house.

So far we have changed the floor downstairs, put up outdoor lights on our garage, pulled down ceiling in the hallways and added spotlights, took down the wall under stairs, as well as a lot of small things, which I will cover in this thread as I go but please bear with me because I should have started from day 1 but now have a lot of catching up to do :eek:

We have a lot of plans for the house which will be documented and shared with yourselves also :p
Some of the things we planning to work on:
- POE CCTV Camera set up, NVR and Network Hardware in Loft (Extending Router to loft)
- Finish off under stairs project for new storage
- Paint & decorate hallway once done
- "Complete" living room build, including ceiling and fake walls for TV from scratch

Let's count this as a slight introduction and I am sure you'll get to know us a bit more as we go along.

Welcome to the thread and I will be happy to hear any of your comments or just welcome to say hi :p

Back
Top Bottom