Rent or wait and buy - house ?

Soldato
Nationwide and Halifax both publish house price data each month. House prices are falling fast. I'd suggest you rent somewhere and watch the data. After a few months of ~no falls then look to buy. Not while prices are falling as much as 2% a month. Remember 2% off a £120,000 flat is £2,400!! Do you even earn £2,400 a month? Not a nice amount to be losing.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13102485 said:
I guess they might if they lived a lifetime of lining landlords pockets through rental for flats because they never managed to get on the property ladder?

What rubbish.
Besides, if you rent sensibly then its more than worthwhile compared to buying your own place.
We are about to move into a 3 bed detached house (with garage) in a good location (shops, links and schools) all for the small sum of £800 a month.
We can then save the additional money that would be spent on a mortgage, in total it should be worth as much (if not more) than the equity in a property (if we had bought one).

Renting - getting a better house than you can afford to buy, being with the one that you love.

Soldato
The problem with waiting and waiting for a price crash/further drops is that, unless you have an enormous stash of cash capital (ie hundreds of thousands of pounds) you are not going to get anywhere.

If the housing market is crashing or is in a poor state, no mortgage lenders will be offering anything decent, so you never end up gaining anything and will just be waiting forever. If you can save up 100k or something in the time you are waiting and can just buy a house outright you will have done well out of it.

I don't get your point - while "waiting and waiting" one saves the amount that you would have been paying on the mortgage and the interest you would be been paying the bank minus the rent. Currently rent can be less than the interest so each month you are able to save more than you would be paying off the mortgage. Your net worth is increasing each month. If prices stay the same then you are getting richer and eventually can buy (with smaller mortgage) if prices fall then your money goes further. This idea only comes unstuck when prices start to rise - at which point you buy.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13102485 said:
I guess they might if they lived a lifetime of lining landlords pockets through rental for flats because they never managed to get on the property ladder?

How are you lining the landlord's pockets if the rent you are paying is less than the interest would be for a mortgage on the property?

Man of Honour
How are you lining the landlord's pockets if the rent you are paying is less than the interest would be for a mortgage on the property?

The guy wants to buy at some point, as he stated in his OP. I was simply musing that it might be better to not rent for a year or two and instead save the equivilent cash towards a house deposit. That way you are paying neither interest nor rent and are acruing capital.

Soldato
My advice is to stay at home. There are going to be some very bad times ahead. You may not even have a job to pay the rent with!

Soldato
I would wait, live at home and then buy. I'm looking to buy my first flat in central London next autumn, prices should be the lowest around that time and i'm also tired of paying £700pcm to live in someone elses flat.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Think about it this way...

The property you buy will depreciate by a greater amount each month than the rent you pay each month.
Therefore buying later and renting now SAVES you money.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13103313 said:
The guy wants to buy at some point, as he stated in his OP. I was simply musing that it might be better to not rent for a year or two and instead save the equivilent cash towards a house deposit. That way you are paying neither interest nor rent and are acruing capital.

1 or 2 years isnt a lifetime as you first put.

Man of Honour
I don't get your point - while "waiting and waiting" one saves the amount that you would have been paying on the mortgage and the interest you would be been paying the bank minus the rent. Currently rent can be less than the interest so each month you are able to save more than you would be paying off the mortgage. Your net worth is increasing each month. If prices stay the same then you are getting richer and eventually can buy (with smaller mortgage) if prices fall then your money goes further.

Sorry, my post wasn't particularly clear last night. This is completely true - but during this time you don't have a house to live in(the OP seems to be being advised to keep living at home rather than renting)
and you are still at home with your parents. If I still lived with my Mother, one of us would be dead by now ;)

If renting is a viable proposition in your area (it can vary massively with location) then yes, at the moment it would be a sensible idea.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Your better of living at home saving as much money as you can, times are going to get very hard for the next 2-3 years. Property prices are NOT going to rise for at least 10 years, 3-5 year drop in prices. at the same time rents are dropping as there is too many properties out there against demand, which itself is going to push the prices even down and making landlords compete pushing a few into repos. So save up progress up the career ladder and save as much as you can.

Last edited:
Associate
Buy a house, and you'll immediately have it drop in price on a monthly basis, for anything between 12-18-36+ months. This will either wipe out your entire deposit and leave you no better off than someone who rented the whole time and then bought, or it will put you in negative equity almost instantly.

.... Plus, you have the added risk of being made redundant, and unable to make the payments on your massive 25-30 year debt.

The smart money rents and waits.

Soldato
Rent, IMO its a stupid time to buy, & chances are you will lose a lot of money if this whole credit crunch continues.

Me and the missus need to move out a few months back, we decided to rent, using 6 month tenancys.

Back
Top Bottom