Repairing a concrete floor

Caporegime
My garage floor has been falling apart ever since we moved in a few years ago; now that I have a bit of time on my hands and the weather seems good, it seems a good time to think about repairing it.

It's terribly uneven (there is only one place on the entire floor I can put my turbo and have it level for example), and even though the pic doesn't really show it, the middle of the garage is sort of a mound, and you can see how much the floor has sunk, by looking at the workbench behind my bicycle which is level, and the drop off on the cupboard, which isn't level - its almost 15 degrees!:
m51Q7aD.jpg

I don't really have the option to break it up and start again. I've laid a brand new concrete floor, but never gone about repairing/levelling an existing one. My thinking is to build a frame at the door, as to level it its going to have to come over the lip of the door way unfortunately, which also means putting in a small ramp/step (to avoid it being too much of a trip hazard). I'll move everything out, although the workbench can be cemented in, no point moving that.

Just wondering what people would use? There are plenty of levelling compounds out there, but I don't know if the drops to the sides are too much for them, and if actually putting in an entirely new level of concrete is needed. I've only really got half a course course of bricks to play with as thats where the damp proof slate course is (you can see it just in the bottom left of the pic).

Thoughts/recommendations?

Soldato
In the long term it would be better taking floor up and starting again - if you skim it or level it and floor sinks a bit you are back to square one. - It sounds horrendous but trust me if you do it you will sit down and say "thank god I did that" It's not really a job you can bodge.

Looks a big garage though.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I was hoping someone wouldn't say that :p. I just don't think its practical; I'd need to hire a breaker as my sds just wouldn't cut it for the size of the floor, and don't think I'll be able to do that anytime soon.

Soldato
Just buy some bags of leveling screed and pour it over.
That won't solve the source problem of subsidence.

There are companies which offer non-disruptive subfloor grouting e.g. https://www.geobear.co.uk/subsidence-solutions-treatment/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBaP0ss8Vgg
THis appears to be a commercial company, but ther emay be domestic ones. The solution is to strenghten the soil underneath to stop it getting worse; then you could install levelling screed.

It may be cheaper to break it all out and relay it, in my opinion as a structural engineer.

Back
Top Bottom