Repairing holes in shed siding

Soldato
After painting the shed past weekend I've discovered that there are 2 noticeable holes (0.5inch x 2inch) in 2 of the siding planks which I'd like to repair soon before the weather turns

Looking for easiest solution so would this be ok:
Gaffer tape some cardboard to the rear of the holes in the planks and then use wood filler to plug up the holes from the front then paint over when dry?

To me this makes sense but maybe there's an easier, better way?

May work, depends how well the filler bonds, assuming the side wood is only 1/4 inch or so thick?

What i would do, which will take a little longer but should be a bit more robust is to cut some wood as close as you can to the shape and size of the hole and wood glue in place (exterior wood glue), then fill the gap with more wood glue over a day or two.
If your not too worried about the appearence inside then gluing a slightly larger piece over the now filled holes will mean its very secure.

Associate
Trace the hole on to a piece of paper, translate that to a piece of ply or matching softwood (assuming its softwood), cut out the shape and glue it in the hole, go round the edge on the outside with wood filler, although some wood glues can be painted over when dry.

Edit: beaten.
That’s how I’d do it anyway.

Associate
I have used 'unibond repair wood for good' a number of times, once cured it can be sanded, painted etc. I used some to patch a playhouse last week after filling most of the space with a piece of wood.

Soldato
OP
Update:

So I was lazy and pretty much did my original idea:
1: Gaffer taped some cardboard to the rear of the holes in the planks

2: Cut off a piece of white magic sponge and filled the holes with it
3: Used wood filler to cover the sponge and holes as best I could
4: Painted over when filler dried

I'm happy with the end result - I understand it won't take a knock but hopefully it shouldn't and lasts years

Soldato
Looks good but will probably swell and fail by spring.

The cardboard on the inside will likely absorb any damp that'll go through to the sponge and cause it to swell, or the rain will get through the paint and cause the same.

Did you use waterproof / external filler?

Soldato
OP
yip cuprinol garden shades paint (2 coats) and external wood filler

I don't think magic sponge swells but I'll keep an eye on it - if it fails I'll redo it properly by inserting a piece of wood in the gap instead of sponge

Back
Top Bottom