Repairing/Replacing screen iPad Air 2 - as hard as it seems?

Associate
I need to replace the screen of a iPad Air 2, but the instructions I have seen seem quite hard (compared to replacing the screen of an Air 1).. Has anybody been able to replace the screen (only) on an Air 2? Was it hard?

Associate
OP
I fixed one this week and it was simple enough. I had a heat matt though so the screen popped straight off! Was a 15 minuets fix.

Good to know.. How much does the heat matt cost? I've only got a hair dryer, so I imagine that will make the whole process trickier. :) Or perhaps you fancy replacing another one? ;)

Permabanned
Permabanned
Thanks.. I dont think I could justify getting one of those for repairing 1 iPad. :) It would be cheaper to buy a second hand iPad instead. :D

Fix 5 devices and you practically have paid for this repair device :) If you lived closer I would have done it but by the time you add delivery costs you far better take it somewhere to get repaired if you don't want to buy the device. It will be a costly mistake if you break it.

Associate
i use this food warmer tray. i've fixed over 30+ ipad air/air2, macbook pro/air screen.
it is so good, the glass i pulled from ipad and macbook glass doesnt even crack.

only cost me £2 from a local car boot sale. this has a solid surface unlike the new flimsy type you can buy from ebay those days.

f9l2z8.jpg

edit...

also get yourself some 0.46mm/0.38mm thin nylon guitar picks..they never fail me.

11bof2h.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
just a skin for a ps4 i used, i have no need for it, haha

might work..ask the seller if the surface is quite solid or flimsy. then again flimsy might should still work but i just dont like working on it.

check your local car boot sale.

Associate
OP
Right, I've repaired the iPad Air 1, a fairly easy job.. The Air 2 however I am not going to attempt, as I know, without the right equipment, its going to end in tears. :D My local corner repair shop only replaces the sealed unit (digitizer+lcd), and doesnt have the equipment to do glass only, and for that they want £200+.. (so, the price of a brand new Air 2)

Does anybody know of a shop/company/person that does have the right equipment, and is able to replace the glass only? Obviously I'll have to post the iPad, but that shouldnt cost too much.

Associate
Nobody can reliably replace glass only on an air 2. You may find someone who will attempt it and if it works out charge you the lower price, but generally you're going to have to cough up if they fail.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
cant imagine it will look good after the repair? what will you use to bond the new glass to old lcd? they use oca in a factory and then it goes into a decompression machine to remove all bubbles, do you have this sort of equipment? i can see it all ending in tears if you've not got all the gear. Best just pay for the full lcd and get a quality finish.

Associate
i sometime have found used, very good condition Air 2 screen for around £50 when lucky. also watch out for Air 2 icloud locked unit goes around a similar price and just take out the screen and swap the touch id home button carefully.

Back
Top Bottom