Repeat problems with new bike, advice?

Soldato
Evening chaps,

Bought my first bike a couple of weeks back, a Voodoo Marasa from Cycle Republic. Have ridden it to/from the office around 10 times so have done about 50 miles now.

Had to drop it back to the store for the third time today.

When I picked it up it had a bolt missing from handlebars and no dust caps. I noticed this at hand over so the guy in the shop took it back in to the workshop then brought it out with added bolt and dust caps. A little alarm bell did go off when this occured.

When I got it back to the car I noticed the bolt they fitted was a different size to the other 3 in the handlebars, so took it back in and got them to fit correct bolt, they couldn't find it so I suggested they remove it from the display bike and then find it in their own time, which they did.

About a week later the pedal started coming off, crank arm threads were ruined so wasn't a case of simply tightening it back up, took it back in and they re-tapped the crank arm and also adjusted the gears since dropping in to the smallest front gear would cause chain to come off (I've since educated myself on adjusting gears properly, setting L & H positions and cable tension so did tweak it to perfection myself after all of this)

Today, pedal came off again, pedal literally falls out, no threads at all to tighten it in to. Was told store manager would call me to offer a solution such as replacement parts and/or some kind of discount, which I feel is justified. I never received a call, so I called them near end of the day and didn't get an answer.

I'm really enjoying cycling and on occasion when I've had to take the car have missed going in by bike. I'm overall happy with the bike but having not owned one for 15 years and never anything other than £100 mountain bikes as a kid I've not a lot to compare it with.

My feeling is that it's a good bike but was poorly built which resulted in all of the above. The bike shop have fired the guy who built my bike as have had other issues with other customers. The staff I've dealt with have been friendly and seem knowledgable and interested in cycling.

I'd appreciate your opinion on if I should just push for a full refund and purchase a different bike from elsewhere (will have to be different since only Cycle Republic/Halfords stock this bike), like an independent bike shop (loads of bike shops in Bristol so will find out which are best) or give these guys another chance to put it all right.

The bike was £400 with a 10% off promo day so £360, I'm not wanting to spend any more than this at present.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I were you I'd ask for a refund and go elsewhere. In the past I've been in similar situations and accepted patch-ups and been left feeling disappointed with what should feel like an unalloyed pleasure but ends up feeling a bit soiled.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. My other thought is that the majority of other cyclists I see on the commute in ride drop handlebars (cycle path almost all of the way, an old railway line) so am wondering if I missed a trick going for flat bars? I've never ridden a drop bar bike before so just went with flat, plus more road orientated hybrids, ("cyclocross" ?) started way beyond my budget. If this time next year I am still regularly cycling I am all up for upgrading the bike but don't want to jump in at the deep end for it to end up in the garage gathering dust once novelty wears off. Initial thoughts are it won't since cycling is actually quicker and more enjoyable than sitting in the morning traffic.

Soldato
Currently I only own bikes with drops, but for commuting, a sleek hybrid with flats would be what I'd go for. You can still go fast, but the overall ride is more comfortable and relaxed, especially on anything that isn't tarmac

Soldato
afterthought - if they cross-threaded a pedal, then really they should have replaced the crank (or both of them, is the other pedal good ?)
re-tapping it ? what did they put a spring in so it still gripped the same pedal ? means if you wanted to change the pedals down the line, could be problematic, and has devalued the bike.

Soldato
afterthought - if they cross-threaded a pedal, then really they should have replaced the crank (or both of them, is the other pedal good ?)
re-tapping it ? what did they put a spring in so it still gripped the same pedal ? means if you wanted to change the pedals down the line, could be problematic, and has devalued the bike.
Completely agree I did this myself on a brand new bike and I was royally p-ed off with myself.

If the bike shop is decent on the whole, you're loathe to take the toughest line with them (ie, full refund and walk away) and you like the bike, then how about going in, saying you've canvassed opinion and everyone says "full refund, walk away" but you'd be happy to accept new parts and something small for the hassle.

If you've still got confidence in the shop, and it wasn't included in the sale already a 1 Yr service would be a possibility ...

Soldato
OP
Thanks for input guys.

Still no call from the store. I’ve called them a couple of times today but no answer. Have messaged them on Facebook.

Will update if/when I hear anything.

Soldato
OP
Have heard back from the shop via my Facebook message. They’ve apologised, are replacing the damaged Suntour chainset with a better Shimano part and also supplying a a 1 year service.

There’s a Shimano Deore 9-speed triple chainset on their website. It’s £80. Is it likely they’d fit that (appreciate cost price to them is lower but still more than I’d of thought)?

Assuming they do use this part, it’s different sized gears to the existing, what’s the impact of that? (Existing = 38/36/26, Shimano = 44/32/22). I’m thinking the larger difference of the Shimano would equal an overall wider range of usable gears?

I think the existing chainset has a square centre hole and Shimano round, what’s the impact of this?

Thanks again.

Links:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-men-s-hybrid-bike-2018.html

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/shima...design-chainset-9-speed-44-32-22t-170-mm.html

Last edited:
Soldato
This has always been a problem with Halfords. There's so much variation in the knowledge and skill of their mechanics. If you really like the bike I'd just have it replaced and then take it to a well regarded local bike shop for a service straight away. If you can get Halfords to pay for that then even better! This is what I did a few years ago when I bought a Boardman and I'm glad I did as they found that the crank arm wasn't even attached properly...

Soldato
This has always been a problem with Halfords. There's so much variation in the knowledge and skill of their mechanics. If you really like the bike I'd just have it replaced and then take it to a well regarded local bike shop for a service straight away. If you can get Halfords to pay for that then even better! This is what I did a few years ago when I bought a Boardman and I'm glad I did as they found that the crank arm wasn't even attached properly...

I thought he got it from Cycle Republic?

Associate
Sad to hear of the OPs problems. I bought a Marasa a couple of years ago (2016 model) as a "boxed" bike from Halfords ie. straight from the factory in the box and built it myself.

On the basis of my experience the only things Cycle Republic would have had to do is put the four bolts on to hold the handlebars, twist the forks the right way and tighten the headset, put on the pedals and stick the saddle in. The rest of bike, including front and rear derailleur was adjusted fine.

It seems a shame they couldn't do that as the Marasa is a decent bike, I did 40 miles on mine yesterday on a mix of towpath, rough track and road and it didn't miss a beat.

Hope it gets sorted for you OP.

Edit - I had to put the front wheel in as well :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd guess you're more likely to have 48/36/26 on your existing chainset
indeed that is whait shows here https://cyclesdeals.co.uk/hybrid-bikes/164-366-voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike.html#product-details

maybe they have now done the work -
but reducing the big chain ring will have lost the top gear a bit 48->44 , had you used it much ? http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_meters_of_development
they might takes some links out of chain too since it would have some slack with reduced chain ring sizes
round to square would mean changing bottom bracket too.
they may need to move the front mech/changer down too.

I think I would ask for original spec / replace it.

Back
Top Bottom