Replace fan on Prolimatech Megahalems?

Associate
Hello,

Currently I have Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 120mm Fan on the cooler, but I find it somewhat noisy at idle. It keeps the temp around 42C.

I've looked at Akasa AK-FN059 120mm Ultra Quiet Viper Cool Fan, "Fan speed: 600 -1900 RPM" worries me a little though as the Sharkoon one is 2000RPM.

Is it good enough? or perhaps something else?

Also, if the suggest fan is really good, I might get 2 for the cooler for push/pull config. I've found the fan clip for the cooler but I am unsure what wire I need for the 2nd fan as there's only one fan header, where would I plug the 2nd fan? :).

Thank you

Associate
I am using 2 Gentle Typhoons (1850rpm) on my Mega Shadow, they are very quiet at 1200rpm connected to my fan controller. I have heard that the akasa apache is also very good.

Caporegime
The viper is an excellent fan, one benefit it will have is that it will be quieter, as at idle the speed will drop as it's a pwm fan, (at full speed it will be as loud as the sharkoon). If you want two run 2 x vipers in push/pull, invest in one of theese.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK&groupid=1929&catid=153&subcat=

This cable will allow you two run 2 pwm fans, and speed control them via your motherboards single 4 pin cpu fan header, been using this cable with dual vipers on my megahelims, excellent little piece of kit.

Associate
+1 on the vipers, especially if you like to be different, though the gentle typhoons and apaches are pretty standard fare in cpu cooler territory.

Associate
OP
Indeed it's a good cooler (I consider it better than H50 personally).

I think the fan it self is pretty silent, its just spinning at 2k RPM every day, every hour that's creating the sound when the air comes out the cooler fins. The viper will fix that issue when it runs the fastest when it actually needs to.

Soldato
I have 2 Apache Blacks on mine and I find that even when I stop them spinning (whilst at idle and keeping an eye on temps) there is hardly any difference in noise from my PC. That is how I know that they are pretty darn quiet. My noisiest component is my GTX470.

Back
Top Bottom