Replacement exhaust advice (Nissan 350Z)

Soldato
Despite having a "cool" car, I'm a n00b and my mechanic has recommended I get a replacement exhaust.

I need everything from the catalytic converters back, which I'm pretty sure means the Y-pipe, centre tube and back-box.

My questions are:

1) Where should I source this from? (My mechanic is great, but obviously not at exhausts!)
2) Is there any risk / benefit in getting something non-standard (e.g. I'm thinking performance / insurance / longevity / resale value).
3) Are these any good in terms of price / performance?

https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-350z-z33-3-5-03-06-k2-cat-back-exhaust-system

https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-350z-k4-exhaust-system

Thanks!

EDIT - It's a 2004.

Last edited:
Associate
Roll on over to Harry's and get a motec exhaust system with a t66 turbo and nos.

Jokes aside my serious answer is it depends on the sound that you want. The Jap speed stuff is okay, I personally would look at Greddy, HKS, Veilside, Ark, and Invidia systems. Overnight parts from Japan if you have to.

Soldato
OP
Associate
We had the Corbra on ours all stainless steel, lasted about 3 years, less than 20000 miles before the pipe attached to the silencer boxes broke.

Associate
I've heard that the Millteks are decent for something that isn't too far from standard. I've got an ARK GRiP which is good quality, looks cool and sounds nice when giving it the beans, but it is a bit noisy for longer trips (and I'm also pretty sure I'll need additional silencing to take it on track).

Soldato
Forget about japspeed. I've never seen such poor welding on off-the-shelf products.

Milltek, Scorpion, Cobra, you can't go too wrong.
Otherwise go custom from a reputable exhaust place, can often be near enough the same price as an off the shelf unit.

Soldato
Get one of these... if on a budget or go balls deep in the big guns... we've put one on ours 18 months ago and it's mint for the money incredible value!!! Fitted like a glove when I fitted it and sounds nice as well without sounding like some chav!

Cost me £374.88 all in for both... I mean, come on... you can't go wrong with that!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153257918189

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351729985309

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Soldato
Also bear in mind the exhaust's changed during the years and they can't be swapped by all accounts, so make sure you get the model and year right of yours. Ours' in the Gen2, 295bhp 2006/2007 Roadster... you've not said what year yours is, as the two exhaust you've linekd are for different years!

Soldato
OP
Also bear in mind the exhaust's changed during the years and they can't be swapped by all accounts, so make sure you get the model and year right of yours. Ours' in the Gen2, 295bhp 2006/2007 Roadster... you've not said what year yours is, as the two exhaust you've linekd are for different years!

Thanks - sorry, it's a 2004.

The only query I have with the one you linked is that the Y-piece is 2.5" and the back is 3"?

Soldato
Thanks - sorry, it's a 2004.

The only query I have with the one you linked is that the Y-piece is 2.5" and the back is 3"?
Yeah think that's a typo, it's basically OEM size and all mated together perfectly when I fitted mine. Infact was really surprised just how well it all went together. Checked underneath today and it's in mint nick 18 months later so for me, I'd reccomend to anyone and for the price it's off the chart!

Associate
I wouldnt go anywhere near that ebay listing - half the compatibility information is wrong - theyre referencing compatibility with HR engine codes in 2005 when that model didnt come out till 2007.

We had a cobra exhaust on our car for a brief time but changed it out for a miltek system due to the cobra droning at motorway speeds which was annoying. The Miltek was excellent though, similar sound to stock and about £1k when we bought it, had it on the car for 6 years and it looked like brand new still. Scorpion are also well regarded but I dont think they do a full system - you need to mate it with someone elses Y-pipe - though I may be wrong it was a long time ago I had to make the decision.

Back
Top Bottom