Replacement for Corsair H100i GTX

Associate
My GTX has packed in so looking at options for a replacement.

Do I just buy another one or are there better alternatives now.

Some background to my system:

CPU i7 5820K clocked at 4007 mhz - This is what the H100 was on
GPU 1080ti MSI Blower
32GB Ram

I play sim racing games (AC, RF2, Dirt 4)

My old graphics card, 980Ti, was watter cooled by a Corsair H110i. this cooler is currently cooling the cpu.

I would like to water cool the 1080ti so will probably buy a G12 Kracken.

So would I better, putting the new cooler on the cpu and the H110i on the GPU?

Last edited:
Associate
If you intend to water cool the CPU and GPU you're better off going custom. The hardest part is swapping out the GPU air cooler for a water block, so if you're already planning to do that (even if hybrid) then consider installing a custom loop. You'll get much better performance, especially with a full cover GPU water block. Makes it easier to replace only the failed parts over time as well. My DDC+ pumps ran for over 10 years and are still kicking along with new owners.

My colleague who purchased my DDC to build a custom loop started with an AIO and won't be going back after trying custom for the first time.

Associate
It will cost you more initially but most, it not all can be reused as you move from system to system. My DDCs lasted more than 5 internal hardware refreshes (CPU, MB and GPU) over the years.

The big, non-reusable cost will be the GPU waterblock and unfortunately that will set you back £90-100 odd new. Depending on radiators and the like you will spend another £250+ on the other bits. However, the GPU waterblock itself will provide superior cooling to the Kraken and other hybrids. My overclocked 1080Ti has yet to pass 36C under any load.

And really...it just looks better :)

EDIT: It can be worthwhile if you don't change your components too often. I used to refresh the core hardware yearly but now it's closer to every 2.5 to 3 years so the cost of the GPU block isn't too bad.

Associate
They're not bad but you have to be careful in future since they're all aluminium based, i.e. You cannot mix these with any copper based cooling components in the future.

What space do you have for radiators in your case?

Associate
As a basic configuration picking mostly the cheapest parts in each category to use as a guide for price comparison purposes. I would personally tweak some of the below at increased cost for better components:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £309.83 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I'd go for the XE or equivalent thicker radiator for the front if it fits. It will add £40 odd to the price but have much better cooling capacity for future. Although, the front mount doesn't look incredibly deep in that case. Wouldn't bother with a radiator in the top since it looks very tight and would obstruct the top of the motherboard. A triple 120mm in the front be sufficient, more so if you get the thicker 360. For pumps, you can upgrade to a D5 but that will add £50+ to the amount. To save space and cost I would definitely go for the pump top and reservoir in one solution for you.

I've gone with the cheapest fittings at OCUK but you'll need hose clamps. You can grab some from a local hardware store to save money. Otherwise, for looks since you have a window grab some compression fittings for £4+ each (instead of £2). I didn't factor in a Y splitter to allow for a drain valve. Can be handy but I've built plenty of custom loops without them. Add around £15-20 if you want one.

You'll need to check that your 1080Ti is reference design, there are a few full cover block variations available.

Add in <£5 for some Halfords de-ionised water and you're pretty much set. Overall this comes in at around £40 more than the EK kit but will offer more re-usability in the long term.

Associate
OP
Many thanks.

Well since the cooler was out of warranty I decided to take it apart. Looks like the problem was crud. Gave it a good clean out and blew it though with an airline. Refilled and tested, so far, seems to be working ok :)

Back
Top Bottom