Replacement for Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6

Associate
Do you still need the 300mm length or where you after the large aperture? If you still need 300mm then the nikon 70-300mm VR 4-5.6 gets some good reviews. Other than that theres always the sigma 70-200 2.8 which is available for half the price of the nikon if thats out of budget.

dod

dod

Soldato
If you can afford it the Nikon's probably the one to go for. I've got the sigma and it's a great lens but the VR could be handy indoors.

Associate
rich_g85 said:
I'm currently thinking of replacing my Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 IF VR.

What are your opinions/experiences of this lens? Is this a sound choice? Are there any similar lenses worth considering?

Thanks

You really want to try the Sigma 100-300 EX DG HSM :cool:

Its fast and very sharp with beautiful background blur (bokeh)

This is my daughter Lilly.

64994546.QeHnRCYY.Lilly_Scooter_1.jpg

Heres another of a Robin late 2006

65037035.aF4WtICn.RobinOnABranch2.jpg

Man of Honour
I did exactly the same upgrade, the 70-200 VR is superb, really in a class of it's own (at the price you'd expect that though). It's very fast and the VR doesn't add any shutter lag in my experience.

Only negative is that it's professional lense and weighs a ton. It's also wasted on anything lower spec that a D200 (obviously)

If you've got any questions or want any samples give me a shout (email in trust)

Man of Honour
rich_g85 said:
To be honest, the major factor in my decision will be the constant f/2.8 aperture as we do a lot of dressage events at indoor arenas where the light leaves a lot to be desired and those extra few f-stops will really help.

Only think i might say having read this...you might miss the 200-300 range, maybe factor in a 1.5x teleconvertor to compensate for this...

Associate
OP
sonyaddict said:
You really want to try the Sigma 100-300 EX DG HSM :cool:

Its fast and very sharp with beautiful background blur (bokeh)

This is my daughter Lilly.

Heres another of a Robin late 2006
Nice pictures there - pity that lens is only f/4 throughout - think I'm really going to need that f/2.8 to cope with the low light at indoor events.

@bigredshark: Would you mind posting a couple of samples up, from the 70-200 VR?

Thanks all!

Man of Honour
umm, the best i can do quickly is web gallery as i'm away from my desktop at the moment...

http://homepage.mac.com/gary.mackenzie/pulborough

just a few quick personal shots pretty soon after i'd bought it. The compression doesn't help but hopefulyl you'll get an idea of the sharpness and depth of field.

I can post up a link to a full size image straight off the camera on saturday.

As people have said, if you can afford it and it suits you in terms of range then get it. As i've said my only warnings are...

- It's very heavy, in spite of VR it really needs a tripod to get the best from it on many occassions.

- The range is sometimes brilliant but sometimes it's a pain, I'd make sure it suits you before you decide to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom