Replacement for Sky Q hub?

Soldato
I'm looking for a new modem/router to replace my Sky Q hub, wanting something with better wireless, and that can resolve Sky fibre to a pFsense box, any recommendations please?

Soldato
Do you already have your Sky Q working with your pfSense box? If so, and wireless is your only reservation, why not supplement your existing setup with another access point? You'll probably get better wifi coverage/performance bang for buck.

Soldato
OP
Do you already have your Sky Q working with your pfSense box? If so, and wireless is your only reservation, why not supplement your existing setup with another access point? You'll probably get better wifi coverage/performance bang for buck.

I haven't got it working yet, we're moving house in a couple of weeks and I'll be setting it all up there, but from what I've read, it won't work with the Sky hub as it won't go into modem only mode, so I'd need a different modem or router.

Soldato
Provided you connect nothing else to your SkyQ and turn the wifi off then you can run a pfSense box behind it but you'll be double NATing. I have to do the same with my stupid Vodafone router that I can't swap out.

I'm not familiar with Sky and I gather it's not the easiest router to swap out so I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about recommend something.

Associate
Provided you connect nothing else to your SkyQ and turn the wifi off then you can run a pfSense box behind it but you'll be double NATing. I have to do the same with my stupid Vodafone router that I can't swap out.

I'm not familiar with Sky and I gather it's not the easiest router to swap out so I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about recommend something.

How is Vodafone going for you?

Associate

Just get yourself an openreach modem, one that's matched to your cab preferably, ECI or Huawei, loads of them on ebay. Then set up pfSense, not simple but not too difficult either; it will give you far more control than any other option. All the info you need to set up pfSense is on the Sky User forum.

Soldato
Just get yourself an openreach modem, one that's matched to your cab preferably, ECI or Huawei, loads of them on ebay. Then set up pfSense, not simple but not too difficult either; it will give you far more control than any other option

Vodafone won't give up the connection credentials so you can't replace with an Openreach modem or indeed anything else. You HAVE to use their router no matter what. I have setup and run pfSense behind it, but it's less than ideal because of the double-NATing

Sky a different case though, if you can get the credentials out of wire shark or whatever.

Soldato
OP
Just get yourself an openreach modem, one that's matched to your cab preferably, ECI or Huawei, loads of them on ebay. Then set up pfSense, not simple but not too difficult either; it will give you far more control than any other option. All the info you need to set up pfSense is on the Sky User forum.

Yep, swap Hub for OR Modem and get a Ubiquiti AP.

I've hunted out my old ECI Sky Openreach modem, will get that set up and running with my Asus RT-AC66U for Wi-Fi for now, and hopefully upgrade to Ubiquiti in the next few months, thanks again for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom