• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacement for trusty 8800GT - 3 options

Soldato
Evening OcUK.

Please join me in a moment of quiet reflection on the demise of one of the DVI ports on my 8800GT...Since I run a dual monitor setup, this one-ported cripple is to be exiled, and replaced. My wallet mourns its passing...

Theatrics aside though, I've whittled down my choice to 3 options. As background, I've got a Corsair 850W PSU, so power's not an issue. My PC is right next to me, and in a Sugo case, so I would like something that a) doesn't melt all and sundry, and b) is as quiet as possible.

Last, but not least, my heavy gaming days are over, but I still like to dabble :). Half Life 2 features on there, along with some lighter stuff (League of Legends etc), and the odd RTS like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 2.

I've got my choices down to these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-114-OK&tool=3

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-163-XF&tool=3

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-093-GW&tool=3

i.e. a GTX 260 at £118
Radeon 5770 at £129
Radeon 4870 at £90

Now I know all of these will provide more than enough power for me, and I'd like to go for the 4870 to save my pocket, but would anyone advise against that? More than open to other suggestions too.

Thank you OcUK!

Soldato
GTX260 + 4870 are old so don't buy.

Isn't the 6000 series out very soon?

Might be worth holding out for a "6770".

If you really need to buy a card now, the 5770 is the best choice I think.

Associate
Performance wise all 3 are close enough that you won't be able to spot any real difference without benchmarking them the big difference is that 5770 has dx11 which the others lack. Personally in the same situation i brought the 4870 and think it a great card very quite with great performance for the money and would recommend it.

If you really do want dx11 i would wait a bit and get a Nvida 460 when they get a tab cheaper or see what the 6000 generation of ATI cards do.

Soldato
I'd forget the whole 5770 has DX11, I doubt there will ever be a game released where the 5770 has enough power to turn on the DX11 features, maybe 1 or 2.

I'd go for second hand 4890

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, all valid points. In the end I went for the 5770, but for none of the reasons you've touched on - since I'm a casual gamer, the fact that it runs so cool and silent when idle is a big thing for me (plus I mentally knocked a tenner off the price since it includes AvP).

Many thanks for all the points of view guys :).

Associate
I've got a second hand 4890 too, overclocked it a bit. Provides a little step forwards in the meantime before I can justify spending >£200 on a graphics card. I do like this card too, it can pull out some grunt where the 8800GT lacked.

Edit: ah =p you went for the 5770, I think its just about the same as the 4890, but it has DX11, but I recall some benches where it was a tad behind. Anyway, glad your happy.

Associate
4890s are not quiet.

The 5770 and the 260 are the best choices if you need to keep the noise down. The 260s do draw nearly as much power as the 4870, but they tend(ed?) to have better coolers putting them close to the 5770 in actuality.

Back
Top Bottom