1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement laser printer ideas or new toner

Discussion in 'Printers' started by 2013, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 2013

Wise Guy

I'm thinking of Replacement laser printer ideas or new toner

I have a HP 4100 laserjet which has been working for almost the last 10 years for home use (got it 2nd or 3rd hand), recently i've had some minor issue, not detected on network (fixed after removing network card), paper jams and now I think the toner is running out because it printing black lines on the right side.

Ive been wanting to get a all in one laser printer for some time, ive seen some browther and samsung models for under £100 I dont know how good they would be compared to this.

Now im thinking if i should get a new printer or just replace the toner.

toner would cost under £20
    New printer im looking to spend around £80 maybe a little more

can anything else go go wrong with the 4100 and would the budget AIO laser printers be any good ?

What do you guys think I should do ?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Sparky__H

Wise Guy

If I'm not mistaken the 4100 is a business level machine designed for a high print load (30k pages a month?), 10k toners for £20? you want to replace this? WHY!?!

The brothers are solid but your going to get a tiny paper tray and a smaller toner.

I have set up a few of the Brother 2700s Mono AIOs and they decent for the money but nothing compared to the Business HPs from yesteryear. About £20-30 for a couple of 2.5k toners.

3. 2013

Wise Guy

Ive also been having 2nd thoughts it has lasted me almost 10 years of normal home use with the same toner, only minor faults.

I did want to ask if the newer laser printers would be any good or as good as this but you have shared the information any way.
    the paper tray would not be a issue but a tiny toner may be. how long would a toner last me and what would the cost be to replace one of these budget printers ?

The only reason I thought about replacing it,
    1. its quite old and may need replacing soon anyway.
    2. Ive been considering upgading to colour but the cost would be too much to justify it.
    3. Ive been wanting a scanner copier I don't know if i would use it as much as i did in the past or often but its good to have if its not going to cost more.

maybe a old AIO or just a toner. Im just comparing the pros vs cons

4. lude1962

Wise Guy

Pull the fuser unit out from the back, check the roller for damage

5. 2013

Wise Guy

could you provide a image or something im not sure what a fuser unit is.

6. crinkleshoes

Sgarrista

Search for:

Oki MC363DN

Impossible to beat for purchase price / toner price / feature set... even has a 3 year on-site warranty. You can get a full set of toners for around the £70 mark. I've had the previous model for about 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

7. lude1962

Wise Guy

unplug power
    fold down and unclip rear door
    fuser is held in by 2 blue plastic lugs
    twist lugs 90 degrees
    pull out fuser
    look at the roller for signs of it breaking up

8. 2013

Wise Guy

Thanks I finally got a chance to do this and also cleaned the dust.
    the rubber on the the rollers on each side has rips in them but the rest are fine, after checking and cleaning it's not showing the lines now so i'm not sure what it could have been and it looks like i still have toner left.