Replacement receiver required - Suggestions

Soldato
I currently have a 5.1 setup which to be honest I'm happy with.
The receiver is an Onkyo HT-R548 with an Onkyo SKW-538 Sub and then my 5 satellites.
However a little research and I find my receiver with it's HDMI 1 ports isn't going to cut it for the potential move to UHD at some point in the not too distant future.

So, I'd like to carry on using my existing sub and satellites and simply replace the receiver. I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money. I like having surround sound, but I'm not so much of an audiophile that I require the very best (my existing setup I know is far from "top end").

Can anyone suggest a replacement receiver for me that will allow me to continue using my current sub & satellites (I'm guessing I can use them with more or less anything) that gives me 3-4 HDMI 2.0 (or above) inputs that is not exactly "cheap and cheerful" but is maybe a good price.

Cheers all.

Soldato
OP
I was hoping that we could find something that matched the Onkyo HT-R548 that I'm replacing rather than shopping by price.
Bottom line is that I kind of want to pay as little as possible for something that when put in place, I won't notice any real difference from how the set-up is now, with the exception I've got HDMI 2 inputs and can look at UHD TV's later in the year knowing the receiver is already "compatible".

Soldato
You could simply do what I do to get around the fact my AVR doesn't support 3D and connect the source (in my case a PS4 for 3D Blu-rays) direct to the TV. You can then use one of several options to get the sound to the AVR, such as using optical, a second HDMI if your source device supports that, or even a HDMI splitter, etc.

Caporegime
no point in buying it right now. new receivers will be released in a month or 2.

old receivers will drop in price. so you can choose between a cheap last year receiver or a more expensive current gen version.

also there is a new HDMI spec being released. BS I know as I have just spent £600 on an AVR about a month ago.

also your inputs are going to be sky Q and PS4 pro.

Sky Q has zero 4k content on it unless your subscribing to the UHD channels. it has some box sets but they are remastered for 4k rather than true 4k.

PS4 pro again is mainly upscaling games to 4K rather than true 4k again. Basically there is zero point in you upgrading AVR or TV atm.

Associate
I've just got myself a Denon 3200w for £389 from Richer , very nice bit of kit , but the remote app is a bit naff

Back
Top Bottom