Replacing floorboards - can I use pine stripwood (no tongue and groove?)

Soldato
Hi all, for a couple sections of boards where I can't reclaim the originals I was going to use pine stripwood 21mm as per below pic. Only difference is it won't have the tongues or grooves, but generally it is very difficult to buy boards with the same tongue/groove profile as a 1940s home.

Does that seem reasonable?

I was going to leave the boards about 5 days to acclimitize in the room then fit with 60mm spax flooring screws.

The wood I've found below happens to be exact match to old floorboards (minus the tongues and grooves), it's 21mm thick.

It will be carpeted over the top.

I note ideally I need to use the same size/width as the radiator loop runs under these boards (centred to allow screws in either side)

Example room with boards to be replaced (where there is gaps)

uHFRLWO.jpeg

Stripwood

P5hEXB7.jpeg
Oe2ROdA.jpeg

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Yes, done this at our previous house, just bare in mind the thickness of the timber, I ended up having to use Hardwood packers to bring the new timber flush.

Soldato
OP
Yes, done this at our previous house, just bare in mind the thickness of the timber, I ended up having to use Hardwood packers to bring the new timber flush.
Have any issues with squeaking? I think if anything htis might be 1mm proud but under a thick underlay and carpet it won't be noticeableq (I could also consider using my electric plane)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Have any issues with squeaking? I think if anything htis might be 1mm proud but under a thick underlay and carpet it won't be noticeableq (I could also consider using my electric plane)

No Issues with squeaks, 3mm hardwood if I remember correctly but the house was 1900ish so may explain the different sizes.

Soldato
Raid some local skips, near us there are always skips full of floorboards and that way you get the same thickness so they should sit flush. Annoyingly even slight differences in thickness have a habit of showing through carpets after a couple of years.

Oh and it's free and environmentally friendly!

Soldato
OP
Raid some local skips, near us there are always skips full of floorboards and that way you get the same thickness so they should sit flush. Annoyingly even slight differences in thickness have a habit of showing through carpets after a couple of years.

Oh and it's free and environmentally friendly!

I would rather pay for the convenience /don't have the time to be looking at skips. If I had time free /knew someone chucking flooring out then sure!

Associate
most of our floorboards are like yours over the years ive found cardboard and even thin ply hidden under carpets to fill gaps, now i just use the flat pine you show from that large diy warehouse lol in fact last weekend we had a water leak on the heating pipes and i had to replace a floorboard complete with the white wood version fitted lovely.

Soldato
OP
most of our floorboards are like yours over the years ive found cardboard and even thin ply hidden under carpets to fill gaps, now i just use the flat pine you show from that large diy warehouse lol in fact last weekend we had a water leak on the heating pipes and i had to replace a floorboard complete with the white wood version fitted lovely.

Cheers mate, good to hear. I've bought some and left it to "acclimatise" for a couple days then I think I shall have a look at it over the Weekend

Soldato
I would rather pay for the convenience /don't have the time to be looking at skips. If I had time free /knew someone chucking flooring out then sure!

The main driver for my suggestion is that it is the only way to get timber the same thickness as modern board are not the same and evern a couple of mm difference has a habit of showing once the carpet settles.

Soldato
On the subject of screws I recently used TURBOGOLD PZ DOUBLE-COUNTERSUNK MULTIPURPOSE SCREWS 4 X 50MM to screw some floor boards down and they worked really well

Soldato
If you find they sit slightly proud, grab a inexpensive power plane from screwfix or wherever and trim them down in place, just take care to make sure and screws and nails are well sunk so you don’t clip one.

Soldato
If you buy the timber from a proper timber merchant you’ll be able to get it in the exact width and thickness you need, they’ll just run a thicker board through a thicknesser (plane) for you. I replaced loads of boards in my house this way, perfect fit, no packers or faffing about.

Soldato
OP
If you buy the timber from a proper timber merchant you’ll be able to get it in the exact width and thickness you need, they’ll just run a thicker board through a thicknesser (plane) for you. I replaced loads of boards in my house this way, perfect fit, no packers or faffing about.
Hmm I know my Travis Perkins doesn't do this but I'll have a look thanks.

My previous proposal above I've changed my mind on as realise I need 105mm (ish) width and these were 89mm so too big a gap between boards.

Hmm I know my Travis Perkins doesn't do this but I'll have a look thanks.

My previous proposal above I've changed my mind on as realise I need 105mm (ish) width and these were 89mm so too big a gap between boards.

Just search for timber merchants or woodyards near you
Check they say something like bespoke cutting or similar and they should be able to make you exactly what you want

Back
Top Bottom