Requesting a massive 3D printing favour

Associate
I've got a 3D model from Thingiverse, which I have been editing in Tinker CAD, before getting it printed somewhere. The model is a lid/top for an Argon Neo Raspberry Pi 4 case:

Neo-case.png

The model has some holes/sections that I do not need, so I've been learning as I go with Tinker CAD. I think I have filled them in correctly and was wondering if someone more experienced wouldn't mind taking a look at my changes?

Also, is there anyway to produce a new 3D model, with everything all as one object, rather than new objects such as cylinders and voids added to fill/erase stuff?

I am also totally at a loss as to how to either remove/hide/move the hinged bits that I've marked with red arrows:

ingenious-blad.png

The original is at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744759 and my altered version is at https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6l...e=dLyoxrJz55pVURRD6TAO2afiRHX6pJ79SeBUiuJ5MbE

Soldato
Also, is there anyway to produce a new 3D model, with everything all as one object, rather than new objects such as cylinders and voids added to fill/erase stuff?

If you click Export in Tinkercad, choose STL, you can then view the 3D object as one, 3D Viewer built into W10 will work fine. Another thing in tinkercad is grouping objects together should give you the desired result.

As for the changed you've made so far, they're not 100% as you can see below.

gHrz1dA.png

I'm guessing you want to remove the mounting posts and the surrounding 'walls'? From what I can see you've got the right idea, but as you can see above you've made a couple of holes and one hole is half way though, so the 'hole' tool you've used has just been set too far down and cut into what you don't want to do.

Overall though, Tinkercad is great for making things, not so much for editing models though, as it can't properly reference what's there in a model.

I use Fusion360 personally, it's a much more powerful tool. I can jump on the computer in a second and give it a go.

Associate
OP
Thanks @andy_mk3 - I am a complete noob when it comes to this and just been trying to fill in the holes etc. Basically I would like to fill in all the holes (aside from the HDMI port and the two big rings which magnets glue into) as well as the surrounding walls. I filled in the two holes on the same plane as the HDMI opening and looks like maybe that has worked?

Basically I am just after getting this ready to print for a Pi KVM project.

Soldato
Looks absolutely amazing, you are a star! You won't believe how long I've been messing around with TinkerCAD and you manage it in minutes :D

Haha! As I said Tinkercad is great, you can make some amazing stuff with it, but it's usually only great if you're starting from scratch with it really.

If it's something you want to get into, I can highly recommend Fusion360, it's free for Home/Educational usage. It's extremely powerful, I'm very much a beginner myself with it, but once you learn what's available to use and how it works, you can do some really cool stuff with it. For example just filling the holes, you can make it do it to the thickness of the wall automatically without having to guess or do it until it looks right.

Associate
OP
I'll take a look at Fusion 360, thanks. I don't have a 3D printer, but definitely on the list of things I can see value in, amazing some of the results. Anyway, thanks again - appreciate your help :)

Back
Top Bottom