• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - Biggest use of VRAM in an official release?

Caporegime
Just tinkering with the steam demo, and there are plenty of Graphics options, but the ones that stood out in terms of memory usage were the 'Quality' setting, which goes up to 200%, which I assume is like Supersampling, e.g it doubles the resolution of the preset, which in my case was 3820x2160

The other one was the Texture quality, which went up to 8GB!

Now, the demo itself is only 7GB, so i'm not sure how that works, but the combination of the two settings, along with everything else maxed out had my game go in to a slideshow on the menu and the in-game warning was showing approx 20GB of VRAM usage.

Suffice to say I knocked it back down to 100% and allocated about 3GB for Textures.

I know people have been using mods over the years on games that eat in to VRAM, but this has to be one of very few games that lets you select an insane amount of VRAM in the actual game menu, surely?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just tinkering with the steam demo, and there are plenty of Graphics options, but the ones that stood out in terms of memory usage were the 'Quality' setting, which goes up to 200%, which I assume is like Supersampling, e.g it doubles the resolution of the preset, which in my case was 3820x2160

The other one was the Texture quality, which went up to 8GB!

Now, the demo itself is only 7GB, so i'm not sure how that works, but the combination of the two settings, along with everything else maxed out had my game go in to a slideshow on the menu and the in-game warning was showing approx 20GB of VRAM usage.

Suffice to say I knocked it back down to 100% and allocated about 3GB for Textures.

I know people have been using mods over the years on games that eat in to VRAM, but this has to be one of very few games that lets you select an insane amount of VRAM in the actual game menu, surely?
Ignore that. It is broken. I had mine showing me going over my 12gb at 13.5 but in game it used 7 or less.

Man of Honour
Now, the demo itself is only 7GB, so i'm not sure how that works

The actual memory when you include the stuff setup by shader programs, etc. can be quite a bit more than the raw texture data the game could also use progressively or algorithmically generated materials at run time i.e. using a base texture and different modifiers to produce variants of it or compression techniques (other than DXTC, etc.) that reduce the size on disc (for distribution) but use full amounts of memory when uploaded to the GPU.

Permabanned
Visually it was a bit buggy but heh it's got 21:9 support this time.

jcKACdV.jpg

It doesn't look as bad in a static picture but if you look at the thin ceiling strip above the stair-rail on the right you can see what looks like some sort of static that shimmers around (It looks a bit like peeled paint but it isn't), You can also see it on the wall, It may be fixable by playing around with the settings & I did try a few changes but never got it & didn't want to spend any more time on it as I'll do that if it's still there once we get the full game & driver support.

Associate
There are clearly some kind of bugs in the code if it's reporting crazy high RAM requirements.
I saw a playthrough of the demo and although the graphics are good, they are by no means as good as the graphically best of games (the Zombie animations were the most impressive thing). There's nothing there to warrant unusually high amounts of VRAM.

Update:
I actually played the demo last night on my 4k monitor. I put everything to maximum at first, but the frames crawled, just putting the % setting to 100% (from 200) sorted that out, with no change to visual impression.
Aspects of the graphics seem just OK, while others seem very impressive. Most notable are the facial animations and facial detail, and the clothing detail when in the sort-of cut scenes, which seem to be being generated as you see them by the game engine. I can imagine where some of the VRAM use may be coming from there.

I'll definitely get and play the game at some point, but with others to play, I'll wait until I can get it for less money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Visually it was a bit buggy but heh it's got 21:9 support this time.

jcKACdV.jpg

It doesn't look as bad in a static picture but if you look at the thin ceiling strip above the stair-rail on the right you can see what looks like some sort of static that shimmers around (It looks a bit like peeled paint but it isn't), You can also see it on the wall, It may be fixable by playing around with the settings & I did try a few changes but never got it & didn't want to spend any more time on it as I'll do that if it's still there once we get the full game & driver support.

Did you turn film grain off? That sounds a bit like what you are describing. That was the first thing i turned off as i hate that effect. Would rather have the clean image than a grainy looking image.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Did you turn film grain off? That sounds a bit like what you are describing. That was the first thing i turned off as i hate that effect. Would rather have the clean image than a grainy looking image.
Same. Turned of a bunch of crap as usual and as usual more fps and better image as a result :D

Soldato
Right now there's a lot of trickery & neglect going on, and that's why a lot of people are fooled into thinking games don't need a lot of vram. Truth is when devs do a proper implementation for higher resolutions (which means appropriate texture options), you quickly run out of even 8gb. I was playing Odyssey earlier and even that with its subpar ****** textures it was running me 7gb @ 4K with a mix of settings, so far from max-ed out. Now imagine if it had some proper 4K textures and it actually streamed the whole screen at once rather than a quarter.

Soldato
The Dynamic quality option is Super Sampling, so naturally Vbuffer requirement scales. The texture resolution options I was quite surprised at, and really comes down to how Capcom is managing the assets in DirectX12.

Soldato
Right now there's a lot of trickery & neglect going on, and that's why a lot of people are fooled into thinking games don't need a lot of vram. Truth is when devs do a proper implementation for higher resolutions (which means appropriate texture options), you quickly run out of even 8gb. I was playing Odyssey earlier and even that with its subpar ****** textures it was running me 7gb @ 4K with a mix of settings, so far from max-ed out. Now imagine if it had some proper 4K textures and it actually streamed the whole screen at once rather than a quarter.

Isn't Oddessy limited to DX11? If so, there's no real way of measuring VRAM usage. All you're seeing in the overlay is the amount allocated in middleware. How much is being used at any given time is up in the air. The difference with DX12 is the level of control given with regards to most resource allocation, and given the nature of the game, I'd imagine it's more a case of poor scaling options and control of resources on Capcoms side.

Caporegime
The actual memory when you include the stuff setup by shader programs, etc. can be quite a bit more than the raw texture data the game could also use progressively or algorithmically generated materials at run time i.e. using a base texture and different modifiers to produce variants of it or compression techniques (other than DXTC, etc.) that reduce the size on disc (for distribution) but use full amounts of memory when uploaded to the GPU.

Also basic things like textures are converted to mip-maps at different levels so that in itself could double memory usage.

However, usage reported by GPUs and how much is actually required are very different. Very few games now bother flushing out unused textures etc.

Back
Top Bottom