Resident Evil series = consistently good

Soldato
I loved RE 1,2,3 and Code Veronica. Not sure I could play them now though unless they've changed the 'point and accelerate' controls to something a bit more user-friendly.

I have to say, they used to get the balance perfect in terms of how much ammo you had (you were always in danger of running out) and how relieved you'd be when you came across a stash of herbs and some magnum rounds.

Soldato
Resi Evil 1 and 2 are the best imo.

Resi 2 is my fav though personally. Never really got into the later versions resi 3 was pretty awesome too. Past that meh.

But yea overall considering the amount of resi games there are and they have kept em all quite good :D

Soldato
The series was amazing, remember first playing RE1 on PS1 when it first came out and loving it, loved all the series ever since.

For those people who are crying because Capcom took RE4 somewhere different AND SUCCEEDED - it was a good game, get over the fact its not like the first 3 and embrace it.

As long as they keep the quality consistent I hope they bring out many more.

Soldato
I don't know if Code Veronica is considered one of the main storyline Resident Evils, but I found that to be one of the best ones in the series. I got it the day it came out on Dreamcast, and was blown away by the jump to 3d backgrounds. It helped that the graphics were really really good for the time too.

Yeah I was totally blown away by the graphics and the awesome CG introductory sequence with Claire and the helicopter. Had it first on the demo disk that came with the official Dreamcast magazine. It is such a shame this game become very underrated compared to the numbered series though, even with its PS2 port. I'm just glad I invested in the original Japanese Dreamcast version, the full complete Code Veronica X.

Soldato
Really enjoyed the first couple of games, in fact I even bought the gamecube remake of RE1 just for nostalgia (Excellent BTW).

I played RE4 at a friends for an hour or so, but it didnt do much for me as it had none of the fear factor associated with the previous titles.

I thought the change from 2d to 3d was the cause for the lack of scary moments in RE4 as there was always something creepy about not being able to see around the next corner, but playing Dead space changed my mind and proved that using a 3d engine could indeed make a scary game, which leads me to believe that what really disapointed me about RE4 was the complete lack of zombie's in the game, why Capcom decided to make this change baffles me as i thought this was the main essence of the franchise, it is "Survival horror" after all, and by replacing zombie's with farmers doesnt really make me want to hide behind my couch.

Soldato
Love this game series; probably my favourite. For me personally, they're up there with the thief and hitman games.

I even struggled through re4 on the pc with shoddy mouse/keyboard controls after seeing it on my mate's ps2. I bought an xbox controller in the end... they're definitely pad games!

Can't wait for 5! Hopefully it'll get a proper pc release, rather than just being ported from the consoles :o

My mate bought round the new re animated movie, resident evil: degeneration the other day (he works in japan) and that was pretty entertaining - especially if you like the series? Visually, it feels like your playing the game. I kept looking for my pad :p

SW.

Permabanned
i disagree that they are long games.

RE - psx - 13hrs
re2 - psx - 10 hours
re3 - psx 10hours
recvx - ps2 - 10 hours
re4 - fantasic gamecube - 13hours

They are highly re playable though. I must have ran through each game at least 5 times.

The best ones are re2 > code veronica> 4> 3> one.

Soldato
used to love Resident Evil to me RE2 was by far the best.

RE3 and Code Veronica were damn good, 0 and 1 i could never really get into.

The light gun games i never tried and RE4 while a good game wasn't really RE at all and should have been renamed.

Associate
Apparently the PC version of Resident Evil 4 is a terrible port of the PS2 version. Low res / polygon character models, bad textures, no fog, no daylight, no darkness at night, so support for modern sound cards and effects, no shader effects, no mouse support... etc etc.

Is it really that bad? Have the mods fixed all this? I've never got into the Resident Evil series but would like to :)

Permabanned
Apparently the PC version of Resident Evil 4 is a terrible port of the PS2 version. Low res / polygon character models, bad textures, no fog, no daylight, no darkness at night, so support for modern sound cards and effects, no shader effects, no mouse support... etc etc.

Is it really that bad? Have the mods fixed all this? I've never got into the Resident Evil series but would like to :)

i heard it was awful on release but it got patched to a playable state and there is plenty of mods.

However the gamecube or wii versions are the best. Probably the gamecube because of the controller.

Soldato

Yep in my view its worse than the PS2 version, apart from being able to play in a higher resolution. The graphics have been touched up a bit with an official patch, but controls are still crap as there is no mouse support. Its still best played with a PS2 style pad or the Xbox 360 controller. Its just typical of console to PC ports. Just get the Wii version if you have that console since its the absolute best version of them all.

Associate
OP
i disagree that they are long games.

RE - psx - 13hrs
re2 - psx - 10 hours
re3 - psx 10hours
recvx - ps2 - 10 hours
re4 - fantasic gamecube - 13hours

They are highly re playable though. I must have ran through each game at least 5 times.

The best ones are re2 > code veronica> 4> 3> one.

i would say the game takes that long if you know what you are doing, or at least a rough idea. with no hints or walkthrough the 2nd one took a lot longer than 10 hours i think.

Permabanned
i would say the game takes that long if you know what you are doing, or at least a rough idea. with no hints or walkthrough the 2nd one took a lot longer than 10 hours i think.

Well yeah.. for both Leon or Claire 10 hours each. going down to 5 or 6 when you know what your doing

Associate
Yep in my view its worse than the PS2 version, apart from being able to play in a higher resolution. The graphics have been touched up a bit with an official patch, but controls are still crap as there is no mouse support. Its still best played with a PS2 style pad or the Xbox 360 controller. Its just typical of console to PC ports. Just get the Wii version if you have that console since its the absolute best version of them all.

Screw it then, I'll borrow my mate's Wii and play his version :cool:

It's going for £99.99 on Amazon... bargain.

Back
Top Bottom