Retail Clothing Store (Work) advice in London

Soldato
Hey all,

Thought I'd ask for the forums advice on this as it is bothering me.

Basically my wife has been working on Oxford Street at a clothing fashion store - one of those 'British' overpriced brands. She earns min wage and has been there for about a month and has yet to see a contract so I'm assuming its a zero hour affair.

They use Whatsapp groups to organise when staff check in and out, and the whole operation is hilariously poor from my PoV. The missus has had very little training and has had to rely on her past retail experience to get her through the day. The rest of the staff are made up of young students who are inexperienced.

Anyway recently they had a staff meeting as things had been a mess for a while. In the meeting one of the key points was that all staff MUST wear department clothing sold by the store - we are talking about dresses that range from £150 - £500. This is so they can show off the brand to shoppers...however they are expected to purchase these themselves with a 'generous' staff discount of 50%. This doesn't sit well with either of us so I've asked her not to sign the form until some points are clarified.

Shouldn't the store itself be paying for this? The younger students just signed away without even realising! What happens should the clothing be damaged or worn from daily use - surely they'd have to re-purchase some new clothes!

Basically the staff are contributing to the sales of the very store they work for! How can this be right? This is just one of many issues to be honest and I'm not surprised that they make very little money on a weekly basis. Typical overpriced 'British' gear.

Soldato
Your place of work has to supply uniform.

However if shes on a mickey mouse zero hour contract they may just shaft her with no hours unless she complys.

Dependant on if she likes job, suck it up and buy cheapest item

Or buy £500 dress for 250, quit and sell on ebay

Man of Honour
This is not uncommon for clothes shops. I see it in many places with staff having to wear that stores clothes only. Have a look around and you'll see it too.

Caporegime
FWIW I have worked in retail where there was a dress code, and that shop also happened to sell clothing that would fit the bill. There was no requirement to purchase clothes from them, but if you did want to then you got an allowance each year to spend with them of a few hundred pounds. I also got paid significantly more than minimum wage back in 2003. I feel we've gone backwards.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies folks. I agree with most of you.

She is commuting from Harrow so from Zone 5 to 1. Costs about £12 a day iirc. I do understand that places like Next etc expect you to buy and wear their own clothes however we both don't agree given the sheer cost of these clothes and the fact that she will have to re-buy after wear and tear sets in. The place barely makes any daily sales as it is given that they post daily sales figures in the whatsapp group.

I've so far told her to stand fast and not sign that form in order to force the manager into coming up with alternative ideas. If they want to get rid of her I want her to get her months pay ASAP and her P45 with no delays.

Or buy £500 dress for 250, quit and sell on ebay
LOL, not a bad idea that!

Man of Honour
Your place of work has to supply uniform.
That is not true. Employers are perfectly within their rights to insist on a uniform and charge you for it.

The only "free" uniform laws in the UK apply to PPE.

Kainz, unfortunately for you what the employer is doing is completely legal. I know it's annoying, but that doesn't stop them from doing it!

Caporegime
This is not uncommon for clothes shops. I see it in many places with staff having to wear that stores clothes only. Have a look around and you'll see it too.

yeah but the question is more whether they get some of those provided - like a set given as a freebie if it is expected

Soldato
OP
That is not true. Employers are perfectly within their rights to insist on a uniform and charge you for it.

The only "free" uniform laws in the UK apply to PPE.

Kainz, unfortunately for you what the employer is doing is completely legal. I know it's annoying, but that doesn't stop them from doing it!
Yeah I get you there. I believe that you're right on the legality of it all, I just can't believe they expect their staff to shell out and work in expensive outfits which will obviously suffer from wear and tear. They're blatently taking the mick here and given that a lot of key older staff left for other stores before my wife came along I'd say this has been going on for a good while. I truly feel sorry for those students who instantly signed up without even reading the minutes sheet from this meeting.

Caporegime
It's not so much taking advantage, it's extracting extreme amounts of urine to arm yourself with the knowledge that you pay your shop floor staff as little as you can get away with and then expect them to spend such a large part of their earnings back with that store in order to keep a job for which they have no guaranteed hours anyway.

Scan the form, anonymously publish it online, let people take the cause up and shame the retailer into changing their plans.

Soldato
I'd look somewhere else, any self respecting business that requires a uniform would supply said uniform free of charge. No contract has been drawn or presented either so I wouldn't even say good bye!

Soldato
It's perfectly normal for clothes retailers to ask staff to wear current season clothes. My wife worked through the ranks of many fashion retailers and she always had to wear current season but got discount of anything up to 75%. The company she works for would expect she likes the product and would wear it anyway, so you get a budget every month to buy discounted clothes.

Man of Honour
Surprised that isn't regulated - I've worked in places before where you have to buy certain uniform parts (which they sell as a product) through them but its basically been at cost + small "admin" fee.

EDIT: There is some tax thing for if you have to buy your own uniform but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Dunno if this is relevant https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/uniforms-work-clothing-and-tools

Soldato
OP
It's not so much taking advantage, it's extracting extreme amounts of urine to arm yourself with the knowledge that you pay your shop floor staff as little as you can get away with and then expect them to spend such a large part of their earnings back with that store in order to keep a job for which they have no guaranteed hours anyway.

Scan the form, anonymously publish it online, let people take the cause up and shame the retailer into changing their plans.
I confess I am thinking of this...

I'd look somewhere else, any self respecting business that requires a uniform would supply said uniform free of charge. No contract has been drawn or presented either so I wouldn't even say good bye!
Yes. She has mostly accepted she will have to move on and I want her to do so the moment she gets her first wage at the months end.

get her a job at your local Papa John's, free uniform and a huge win for you ;)
YUM! She's a vege dude! Hence why I mainly buy them when she's away lol

Edit: Damn she's going to read this later too...

Back
Top Bottom