Retail Clothing Store (Work) advice in London

Man of Honour
She doesn't have to wait until getting paid to leave, she is owed for the hours worked so far.

Much easier to wait til the bulk of the work she had done so far is paid though than risk having to argue over any deductions or so on they might try on if she leaves.

Soldato
Considering the clothes probably cost them a lot less than the 50% discount they do seem to be taking advantage.

Used to work at a clothing company and the staff discount was trade+vat which worked out at about 50%. So about standard.

The retail unit staff did used to get an annual allowance though.

Caporegime
I don't see how it's a workable policy since it's going to have to apply to everybody to achieve the aim they are trying to set out, which means that someone on their first day for a minimum wage job would need to have a minimum of £75 just kicking around to spend on a job where they are unable to predict how much will even pay them each month. Obviously if they don't want people wearing the same clothes each day then this figure goes up.

aMb

aMb

Associate
The employer could be breaching National Minimum Wage as the purchase of uniform would likely be a deduction in the pay reference period. Take a look at the Monsoon case etc.

Caporegime
Seems like the full story is that Monsoon took the money for the clothes out of people's salaries, rather than paying them the money and then requiring they spend it back again. So potentially not the same thing.

Either way, it's a minimum wage job and there are others available that don't require you to spend several hundred pounds on clothes to be allowed to work there.

Man of Honour
Could come to the same thing though regarding minimum wage - I know where I work has started adding some extra pay (they actually bumped everyone up 1.5% minimum wage or not I think for some reason) so make sure that some potential costs to staff didn't mean they went under minimum wage.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Either way, she should be looking for something else, not a place you would want to work for a long while if that is how they treat their employees.

I've done retail before...never again!!

Soldato
OP
Just wanted to say thanks to all for your input.

The clothing store I spoke of has in the past week announced that their secondary store in Westfields shopping centre is closing due to poor sales. I predicted this would happen as shoppers there aren't interested in sub £450+ 'British' dresses with tacky finishing. Three other youngsters have left after the uniform debacle - I assume they finally read the latest minutes from the last meeting and didn't sign it.

My wife who alternates between both stores has been told that she is no longer required even though she's the eldest out of the remaining staff and most reliable for whatsapp group feedback as well as work. She's been given three weeks notice, which leaves two employees - a student and the equally young manager. The good news is that she has made friends with other workers (who know of how badly the store treats workers) who work in other retail stores and they're helping her find employment in the area.

Soldato
Sounds like a place to be shot of. Surely it's not hard to find a job in retail in/around central London?

If there's one thing I've learnt in my working life is that you can always take control of a bad working situation and leave. Especially in these circumstances. If a place of work is doing something you don't like,not treating you well.. Either pick your battle or move on. Life's too short to be treated like ****.

Back
Top Bottom