Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Im going to Japan on business in November. Wondering what I should get from there :)

Waynelle, incidentally, do you have a bartop arcade? I saw a video of tinyarcades bartop arcade and the guy was filming next to shelving units exactly like yours.

Associate
Im going to Japan on business in November. Wondering what I should get from there :)

If you don't already own one i'd defiantly look at picking up a PC Engine of some sort. Its a great machine and i'm sure you would be able to pick up some loose HU-Cards cheap. A Duo-R would be nice but they are expensive and can have issues with the CD Drive. if you just want to play HU cards then look at a Core Grafx :D

Oh and if you manage to spot a cheap copy of Balloon Fight for the famicom bring it back to the UK for me! :D:D:D:D:D

Associate
Akumajo is a great game. I've not gone through it but it was a lot of fun and a great platformer. I even took a pic ages ago of it.

IMG_5934.jpg

I've not tried splatterhouse yet, you'll have to give me your impressions. I'm currently in the process of making a Sweet Home Translation cart. I have the donor, just need to get the eeproms done to transplant in. It really is truly a fantastic machine and the AVfami is the best model to get!

That RGB mod looks great, dunno if i would attempt it myself as not done any soldering for years. Doing your own translation cart sounds cool, do you have your own eeprom programmer?

The £ vs ¥ is pretty strong atm, if it stays like that it could be a good time to go nuts and get whatever you want/need for your collection. Would love to go there myself one day, doubt I'll ever do it though.

Soldato
If you don't already own one i'd defiantly look at picking up a PC Engine of some sort. Its a great machine and i'm sure you would be able to pick up some loose HU-Cards cheap. A Duo-R would be nice but they are expensive and can have issues with the CD Drive. if you just want to play HU cards then look at a Core Grafx :D

Oh and if you manage to spot a cheap copy of Balloon Fight for the famicom bring it back to the UK for me! :D:D:D:D:D

Actually I always wanted a PC Engine GT :p

Ill keep an eye out for Balloon fight but Im not too hopeful. Whats "cheap" :D?

The £ vs ¥ is pretty strong atm, if it stays like that it could be a good time to go nuts and get whatever you want/need for your collection. Would love to go there myself one day, doubt I'll ever do it though.

Indeed, thing is I haven't collected much in the way of my retro stuff. Mainly collecting consoles at this stage. PC Engine Handheld would be nice....

And as to going to Japan, would highly recommend it. You need to do it once in your life at least. Incidentally there are some relatively cheap flights which you can take, albeit mostly indirect.

Associate
Actually I always wanted a PC Engine GT :p

Ill keep an eye out for Balloon fight but Im not too hopeful. Whats "cheap" :D?
1000 Yen is about £6 according to XE.com lol. In all honesty it was in jest mate, but if you see one for under a 1000 yen then grab it hahaha :) Lots of japan stores do loose carts. I would love to go to Japan one day! It has always been a dream of mine. Take the opportunity to grab some real cool stuff!

So many options, Neo-Geo, a nice twin Famicom, PC engine etc. I'd be looking to see if i can pick something like that up really cheap!

Soldato
Around £10 - 30 depending on condition and included accessories.

Alternatively look out for one of the early 60GB PS3's with full backwards compatibility.

Soldato
Looking good Craig you've just reminded me about my dreamcast games aswell lol, I've got another unit reserved lol they fill up fast here's what it looks like at the minute still moving things about

Thanks, yours is looking great too!

Fortunately my girlfriend was fair taken by the units, so we now have 4 of them! Filled with all kinds of media right now, but means I can overspill (or acquire) one of the other units when need be! :D

Soldato
How do you guys think a Nintendo Gamecube power supply / lead and AV cable are worth? I have an old Gamecube in my loft but don't have any of the cables or controllers for it (but I do have a memory card). Just wondering if it is worth while picking up the cables to get it working or not.

Back
Top Bottom