Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Eternal darkness was one of my fav games during my uni years. Loved every minute
Sealed the deal for me, every thing I hear about it is praise. It's affordable too even at CEX prices really so may just take a punt. Recently enjoyed a ps2 horror kick so will be nice to see what the GC was offering

Soldato
:) ^

Finished Luigis Mansion last night, really enjoyed it. A few issues with controls but that's just a thing of its time!

Not sure what to play Next, have a fair few to choose from.Maybe Metroid Prime 2, or paper Mario thousand year door.

Soldato
I see Nintendo announced, the SNES mini will ship more on release than the NES mini dd during its run and also that the NES mini is coming back nect year.

Also extending the SNES for sale beyond the end of the year/

Soldato
Hi guys I think I asked this recently but didn't get any advice so just wondering if anyone can offer any insight

Basically my current set up is as follows! PS2 with RGB Scart to a Scart/hdmi converter ("upscaler") to a HDMI socket in my monitor.
I have this scart/hdmi box as many of my systems already had the rgb scart cable etc
So I'm just wondering for the PS2, would I get a better picture using one of those HDMI adapters? I understand it picks up the component signal and sends it out through hdmi?
Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015XKDQ98/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Would I see much difference? Or is my current set up just as good?
Please excuse my ignorance on the matter ;)
(Component isn't an option)

Man of Honour
Hi guys I think I asked this recently but didn't get any advice so just wondering if anyone can offer any insight

Basically my current set up is as follows! PS2 with RGB Scart to a Scart/hdmi converter ("upscaler") to a HDMI socket in my monitor.
I have this scart/hdmi box as many of my systems already had the rgb scart cable etc
So I'm just wondering for the PS2, would I get a better picture using one of those HDMI adapters? I understand it picks up the component signal and sends it out through hdmi?
Example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015XKDQ98/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Would I see much difference? Or is my current set up just as good?
Please excuse my ignorance on the matter ;)
(Component isn't an option)

Soldato
Thanks Barmy, I believe you linked me this before and it's a good video but as his screen doesn't support the output over HDMI the product was worthless to him so he doesn't really explain if it's good or not :D

I get the impression that it's as good as component really?

But I'm mainly wondering how much it would improve over my current set up and if it's even worth it. I guess my little box upscaled but I doubt that really does much

Soldato
Maybe getting one of these is the answer.

Yea please ;)

I think it was Adams vid that introduced me to the hdmi option, then from there so haven't been sure if I need it or not :/

Also there are loads of different ones, they all look the same so I guess the one I linked should be fine, it seems well reviewed enough

Soldato
A similar question. With the gamecube, I have it set up the same. RGB, upscaler, hdmi. Obviously we don't benefit from 480p here so is this the best I can get gamecube to look without the component cables?

Or will I get a much better system playing them through a Wii with a HDMI connection? a Wii can be had super cheap, obviously annoying having to select the GC mode with the pointer but if it gets me a better picture I'm up for it

Soldato
Wii doesn't have HDMI, so you'd need a converter for the Wii as well.

Didn't Metal Jesus Rocks review a HDMI adapter for GC a few weeks back?

Yea you get a similar one to that I linked for the ps2, picks up the component signal and puts it out as hdmi instead of component. So I'm guessing this will be better than my current set up?

Yea metal Jesus had a gamecube one, cost around $100 hand made. It looked amazing.. but!

It broke. He put up another video and a slight knock broke the device and bricked his GC :3

The creator is aware and producing another version but that's all in the US I guess and not really money I want to spend if I can get similar results out of a Wii with an option mentioned above

It seems a bit of a grey area, loads of different options and Nintendo really screwed it up

Soldato
Picked up beyond good and evil on GameCube today! 11.99 didn't seem terrible compared to CEX and eBay being around 25-30. This was oxfam where in my local one, they try to put the cex price on the case for comparison.

They had Windwaker for 25 (too much for me) because cex sells it for 28

I'm all for charity shops making money, it's for a good cause but just seems weird.

Grabbed Burnout 3 for 2.99 too. Ps2

Back
Top Bottom