Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Killer Instinct was such a good game. It's the first game I remember where combos were really an integral part of a beat em up. I can still remember Orchid's Ultra Combo button pattern :/

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Killer Instinct was such a good game. It's the first game I remember where combos were really an integral part of a beat em up. I can still remember Orchid's Ultra Combo button pattern :/

I remember learning them all on the SNES, then going on holiday to the seaside and annihilating people on the arcade version :D Nothing better than hearing ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA at a ridiculous volume level blaring through the arcade.

Soldato
Hey guys, can anyone recommend somewhere/anyone reliable to get SNES repaired/modded/chips replaced as necessary, without spending the earth?

I have 2, one with the 50/60Hz switch mod, and a standard, and unfortunately the 50/60Hz version is giving me the black screen of death. Would like to try and get it repaired economically or alternatively the 'good' one modded.

Anyone?

I have about 40-50 games including some rare ones like the Super Mario RPG/Chronotrigger/Wing Commander...so I'm quite eager to get this back in working order with all the talk of the SNES Classic.

60Hz is so much nicer :) (Also noticed the start button on my 2nd controller has died :()

PS. Will take a picture of my collection if anyone is interested :)

Associate
I used a Facebook site years ago to carry out a cart slot mod on a spare shell I bought (so I could keep my original one unmodded) and they carried out repairs for sensible prices but can't seem to find them now, looked through my old posts here but doesn't look like I posted anything after having the slot modded.

If you know anyone with a bit of soldering experience search for the SNES switchless mod for your working console its cheap to buy and not difficult to install apparently, I had a friend install mine who by his own admission is a complete novice, its the cleanest looking mod (no external switches) as you simply use the reset button to flick between 50/60hz and region locked etc. a quick tap will still perform a normal reset.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used a Facebook site years ago to carry out a cart slot mod on a spare shell I bought (so I could keep my original one unmodded) and they carried out repairs for sensible prices but can't seem to find them now, looked through my old posts here but doesn't look like I posted anything after having the slot modded.

If you know anyone with a bit of soldering experience search for the SNES switchless mod for your working console its cheap to buy and not difficult to install apparently, I had a friend install mine who by his own admission is a complete novice, its the cleanest looking mod (no external switches) as you simply use the reset button to flick between 50/60hz and region locked etc. a quick tap will still perform a normal reset.

Let me know if you do find it (or anyone else has any suggestions).
Barmy - that's a route I may look at if I have too, but seems a waste of cash when I have one modded console that needs repaired and one working unmodded console sitting in front of me! (well proverbially right now)

Man of Honour
If you can't get it repaired then you could sell both and use cash to buy one from eBay.

When I was after a region free Mega Drive the above option was the only one open to me. Probably didn't cost me much more than paying someone off FB or doing it myself and potentially bricking my system.

Man of Honour
I grabbed a Wii last week strictly for GC gaming.. picked up Mario Galaxy 2 today. Always wanted to play it. It remains one of the highest rated games of all time so why not.

Probably the only actual Wii game I will play though

Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, House of the Dead Overkill, Punch Out, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kari Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros Wii and the first Super Mario Galaxy are all worth playing on the Wii.

Soldato
With all the talk of SNES mini I decided to go into the attic and dig out my SNES original. Spent the afternoon playing this lot with my little'uns :D

VZ4T1MA.jpg
CPwQ4i9.jpg

I'm missing a box somewhere though, can't find my Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country games anywhere... think i'm going to have to venture deeper and see if I can find them later!

Wario’s Wood is one of my favourites!!!

Soldato
Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, House of the Dead Overkill, Punch Out, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kari Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, New Super Mario Bros Wii and the first Super Mario Galaxy are all worth playing on the Wii.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently playing twilight princess on gamecube and am quite enjoying it. The dungeons are great, the inbetween is a bit slow :(

Soldato
gradius V is AMAZING on PS2, psyvariar also good - both side scrolling shooters but still awesome

Castle of Shikogami II (spelling?) and 1942 also brilliant - these 2 top down

C64 classic would be Uridium, used to cane that when was a kid on speccy, but its on C64 too

Back
Top Bottom