Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Latest retro find was Yoshi's Story! Never played it back in the day but a couple of hours on it last night felt like I had missed out, really wish I had dedicated the time to re-collect my 64 games in NTSC format though. PAL has some terrible versions of games

Soldato
Thinking of trying ace combat 4 on ps2! Never played one and it actually sounds pretty good. Also may try Outrun coast to coast. Also a series I have never touched in or out of the arcade.

Soldato
If you haven't seen it yet then this one is right up your street.

Hey Barmy, appreciate the link I shall give it a watch for sure.

Currently I'm using one of those PS2 to HDMI adaptors which does the job well enough on my monitor as my CRT's gameroom seems to have become our store cupboard in recent months!

Soldato
Just had a scan through! They got on to PS2 to HDMI and the man put it in the bin :(

;)

Obviously I think my CRT and RGB cable would be better overall for me before spending big bucks but the HDMI allows me to sit down here and not completely ignore my partner :D

Soldato
Currently I'm using one of those PS2 to HDMI adaptors which does the job well enough on my monitor as my CRT's gameroom seems to have become our store cupboard in recent months!

IS this one of those £8 jobbies from ebay? How does the picture quality compare to component? I'm tempted to get one so my PS2 can be used on my proper monitor rather than the TV downstairs which I never seem to be able to use!

Associate
Can anyone with an OSSC confirm how a PS2 looks on a modern TV? I've used an RGB scart and component and both look blurry and jagged (albeit the component slightly less so) and aside from getting a CRT (which due to the size and weight is slightly prohibitive) the OSSC seems like a good option. Looking at the options the Framemeister seems like it does a better job for PS2 games as it's a scaler but it's out of my price range. The OSSC gets loads of positive reviews but I'm slightly hazy on what effect a line doubler like the OSSC has on the PS2...I've tried googling "CRT vs OSSC PS2" but can't seem to get any idea of what the difference in quality would be.

Man of Honour
Can anyone with an OSSC confirm how a PS2 looks on a modern TV? I've used an RGB scart and component and both look blurry and jagged (albeit the component slightly less so) and aside from getting a CRT (which due to the size and weight is slightly prohibitive) the OSSC seems like a good option. Looking at the options the Framemeister seems like it does a better job for PS2 games as it's a scaler but it's out of my price range. The OSSC gets loads of positive reviews but I'm slightly hazy on what effect a line doubler like the OSSC has on the PS2...I've tried googling "CRT vs OSSC PS2" but can't seem to get any idea of what the difference in quality would be.

There's a video I linked to a few posts back that might help regarding the PS2 on modern TV's. Not specifically all about OSSC but it's covered in the video from what I remember.

There's also a good chance they covered it in other videos on their channel.

Soldato
Moving house soon so had a big clear out. In the mix of lots of consoles, that I'm keeping, is my lovely old...

- Atari ST 520fm with about 10 boxed games and 50 or so others. Not sure it still works, just tested hooking up to a tv via the RF cable and couldn't get any connection. The unit itself powered on though, with the green light showing and the internal floppy drive chugged away.

Has been in a loft at my parents for about ten years then a loft at mine for about 12. Is it likely to be bust? How well do these old comps 'keep'?

If not bust is it Worth anything? Has sentimental value to me, but could do with getting rid for the space to be honest.

Are the boxed games I've got likely worth much? Have a few such as The Untouchables, Populous II, Fighter Bomber, Flight of the Intruder, Speedball 2, Altered Beast, Cruise for a Corpse. I don't 'do' ebay so can't really be bothered, unless some are really worth selling?

Last edited:
Soldato
Moving house soon so had a big clear out. In the mix of lots of consoles, that I'm keeping, is my lovely old...

- Atari ST 520fm with about 10 boxed games and 50 or so others. Not sure it still works, just tested hooking up to a tv via the RF cable and couldn't get any connection. The unit itself powered on though, with the green light showing and the internal floppy drive chugged away.

Has been in a loft at my parents for about ten years then a loft at mine for about 12. Is it likely to be bust? How well do these old comps 'keep'?

If not bust is it Worth anything? Has sentimental value to me, but could do with getting rid for the space to be honest.

Are the boxed games I've got likely worth much? Have a few such as The Untouchables, Populous II, Fighter Bomber, Flight of the Intruder, Speedball 2, Altered Beast, Cruise for a Corpse. I don't 'do' ebay so can't really be bothered, unless some are really worth selling?

Anyone?

Soldato
There's a video I linked to a few posts back that might help regarding the PS2 on modern TV's. Not specifically all about OSSC but it's covered in the video from what I remember.

There's also a good chance they covered it in other videos on their channel.

Will be my life in gaming : https://youtu.be/brMW6KFue-I

I have a framemeister on a 65" 4k tv and it looks as far better than any direct connection. If you can't get a CRT then get an OSSC or a framemeister, its far more than a line doubler, else your tv's scaler would do the same job.

Just be aware its still a low res image it's scaling.

Associate
Another question re Sony CRT's. Which is the better TV for Playstation 1, 2 and Dreamcast gaming?
This sort
SP4ZL5R.jpg

or

8KKxWip.jpg

Back
Top Bottom