Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Really looking g forward to trying that one out! Been on Crimson Skies all evening, great fun!
This looks fantastic, congrats great job. I need a solution to hook all my consoles! Currently constantly switching RGB leads in and out. What do you use here?

That TV has Scart, RF and RCA jacks on the side.

RF
SNES
PS1
Atari

Scart Splitter
PS2
PS3
GameCube
Dreamcast
CPC 464 (hidden behind the shelves)

RCA Side
Xbox

Though annoyingly something happens with my scart splitter when the video cable is plugged in to my PS2 slim, none of the other scarts will output audio, so I have to slightly disconnect the video cable from the PS2 when playing other consoles. No biggie really.

Soldato
That TV has Scart, RF and RCA jacks on the side.

RF
SNES
PS1
Atari

Scart Splitter
PS2
PS3
GameCube
Dreamcast
CPC 464 (hidden behind the shelves)

RCA Side
Xbox

Though annoyingly something happens with my scart splitter when the video cable is plugged in to my PS2 slim, none of the other scarts will output audio, so I have to slightly disconnect the video cable from the PS2 when playing other consoles. No biggie really.

Sounds good yea little issues like that are a pain but not too bad to manage! I need an RGB scart splitter really, I have 6 units to hook up to 1 rgb socket in the back of the tv!

*love how the Xbox just squeezes In, the fat b*****d!

Man of Honour
Sounds good yea little issues like that are a pain but not too bad to manage! I need an RGB scart splitter really, I have 6 units to hook up to 1 rgb socket in the back of the tv!

*love how the Xbox just squeezes In, the fat b*****d!

I've used these in the past. Generally well regarded and I couldn't tell between connecting using the switch and direct to the TV.

Not cheap and only three SCART sockets, not sure if you could daisy chain two together.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006JAUZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_48PIAb6K8XYP1

Soldato
I've used these in the past. Generally well regarded and I couldn't tell between connecting using the switch and direct to the TV.

Not cheap and only three SCART sockets, not sure if you could daisy chain two together.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00006JAUZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_48PIAb6K8XYP1

Ahh that's the one! I think you showed me this in the past but I never got round to getting one, daisy chaining would be great.

Does this carry true RGB signal? I like the price :D

Soldato
I've ordered the black one yesterday after seeing it on Linus tech tips. Just seen that it has been jail broken already.

Is it best to buy carts for titles that uses a special chip. I think Yoshi's island is a special chip cart? I'm not familiar with all this. I just used to whack the cart in and play as a kid.

You can get flashcarts which can mimic some of the chips Nintendo used and allow you to play those games, but I don't think they can play all games, like the Super FX games. I don't know if the cracked Super NT will play those chip games via the SD card, as it just simulates the SNES hardware in the FPGA, I don't know if he included the chips into the FPGA program. I'd stick with original carts if you can. I plan to get a flash cart but I stll have stuff like Kart and Starfox on cart already.

Man of Honour
Tidied up my little server room.

retro1.jpg

Replace cheap B&M shelving units with IKEA KALLAX, fitted the backing myself and also cut out a little recess for 3 lots of 2m RGB LED strips.

retro2.jpg
retro3.jpg

Nice, like that.

Also you chaps really need one of these if you are serious about getting super sharp pics and want to move to 1080p

37212785234_c19c2f1404_k.jpg

Associate
I have an SD2SNES, great piece of kit. Shame SuperFX support looks to be off the cards at this point. Never been disappointed with the RGB SCART output from any of my retro machines.

I really really want a place I can store/display them but since I have around 30 consoles and many hundreds of games I'd really be struggling for somewhere to put them all

Soldato
How do you guys figure out what's a good price to pay? I'm itching to get NHL Hockey for my GameGear as I've recently been playing it on a night before bed and the Olympics makes me want a hockey game. on eBay, someone has only the cartridge up for £7.99 + £1.30 postage. And another guy has the complete package (fully boxed and looks in great condition) for £20.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you want to play, buy cheap, if you want to collect, spend more, buy the best condition you can find, box and all the bits in mint condition are key. That for me applies more for the consoles/computers than the games. I tend to buy games off Amazon/eBay for cheap as I can and most are good condition, but only but fully boxed with manuals.

Associate
Sports games in general seem to fetch low prices but that's probably down to there being lots of copies out there and not much demand for old sports games. I built up a huge Game Gear collection with lots of classics in it by bidding on big lots of games and you may well find a copy that way along with a heap of other games for not much more. That said, that was a while ago so I don't know if prices have gone up since.

Associate
Here is my latest retro purchase I posted in another thread

y8bn3T9.jpg

Certainly in as good condition as I have ever seen and boxed with all mint accessories but no outer cardboard box :(

Associate
I do believe I overpaid slightly at about £180 as I recall but it is in lovely nick. It actually didn't boot up when I got it which I was very annoyed about but it turned out to just be the Z80 so I let it slide.

Associate
You didn't, THAT is a steal!

I'll offer 300 right now!

Haha thank you for the offer! Just seems to be the average going rate on eBay at the moment which is normally too much. I don’t think I’ll be parting with it any time soon.

I did also get a lot of 5 ZX81s (which all work) for £28 which I do feel was quite good going!

Back
Top Bottom