Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
If you have the room and the budget then a Sony BVM is the pinnacle for original PlayStation era consolesband earlier. After that a decent CRT TV such as a Sony Trinitron. Some consoles need modding to get the best signal, usually RGB SCART.

If you want them all connected to an LCD TV or monitor then you'll need an upscaler. Again the cream of the crop is a Framemeister.

You'll also need quality cables to get the best out of any system and most agree that Retro Gaming Cables is the place to buy from.

Chasing image quality can be an expensive hobby.

If you can find one, the Sony TV with the built in PlayStation 2 does a good job of upscaling a SCART signal. And with a 22" screen, decent (for and LCD TV) speakers 4 HDMI and a host of other connections would be a decent choice for the 720p Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles.

Check out YouTube channels

My Life In Gaming for loads of information on connecting consoles to TV both CRT and LCD.

And the Nostalgia Need just uploaded a video in the Sony TV I mentioned.

Last edited:

VTR

VTR

Soldato
If you have the room and the budget then a Sony BVM is the pinnacle for original PlayStation era consolesband earlier. After that a decent CRT TV such as a Sony Trinitron. Some consoles need modding to get the best signal, usually RGB SCART.

If you want them all connected to an LCD TV or monitor then you'll need an upscaler. Again the cream of the crop is a Framemeister.

You'll also need quality cables to get the best out of any system and most agree that Retro Gaming Cables is the place to buy from.

Chasing image quality can be an expensive hobby.

If you can find one, the Sony TV with the built in PlayStation 2 does a good job of upscaling a SCART signal. And with a 22" screen, decent (for and LCD TV) speakers 4 HDMI and a host of other connections would be a decent choice for the 720p Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles.

Check out YouTube channels

My Life In Gaming for loads of information on connecting consoles to TV both CRT and LCD.

And the Nostalgia Need just uploaded a video in the Sony TV I mentioned.

Thanks for the detailed response, I did some research myself over the last week and have ended up getting a B&O MX7000 which I'm picking up on Saturday. Had a look for a Sony BVM/PVM or Trinitron but couldn't find anything.

I've got a Dreamcast and Saturn Bundle also coming this week both with 2 light guns :) 32 games on Saturn and 4 for dreamcast. Will pick up RGB cables for both from Retro Gaming Cables :)

Associate
Do you guys worry about your old disc based games (Dreamcast, Playstation etc..) failing or rotting? I'm thinking of selling off all my stuff before this might happen purely because keeping games just for the sake of having them and *maybe* replaying again in the future seems pointless. I'm thinking of my Symphony of the Night and not wanting it to just fade away on me...

Associate
Slowly getting my collection into some kind of order. Shelves going up this weekend and some new PS2 games en route from ebay.

Just need an A1200 to complete my Amiga collection!

AnPBHH6.jpg

Man of Honour
Anyone got their hands on one of the new Analogue Super Nt's?

I am trying to buy one, but seems the website is crashing at the moment and wondered if anyone knows of anyone in the UK selling these yet?

Man of Honour
Anyone got their hands on one of the new Analogue Super Nt's?

I am trying to buy one, but seems the website is crashing at the moment and wondered if anyone knows of anyone in the UK selling these yet?

Managed to order one, sadly had to go with the black one as the other colours all out of stock and should be with me this coming week, though the controllers which I order 2 are via Amazon oddly and will not me with me until the 9th April. Interested to see how this works.

Soldato
Managed to order one, sadly had to go with the black one as the other colours all out of stock and should be with me this coming week, though the controllers which I order 2 are via Amazon oddly and will not me with me until the 9th April. Interested to see how this works.
Let us all know what its like, I'd be tempted by this as the cost of the actual SNES its getting too costly to splash out on just now.

Need to sort out my consoles and start picking up some of the cheaper ones shortly.

Man of Honour
The 4000T lives! :D
Fully recapped, powered on first go. :D

The 1960 monitor... Not so much. Recapped and replaced the power transistors. Working, but colours are out and screen is squished. So time for some more reading into monitor rebuilding.

Also, anyone got an OSSC? Worth picking up the v1.6 version? Support seems pretty good with updates and the like.

Soldato
Also, anyone got an OSSC? Worth picking up the v1.6 version? Support seems pretty good with updates and the like.

I do, the picture quality is really good but I suggest searching first for both the TV you're planning to connect it to and what devices you want to use to see if anyone has reported issues.

Some TVs are very strict in how they handle HDMI inputs, and I have a Sony which refuses to display a PAL PS1 through the OSSC (I think it's something to do with the 50hz refresh rate being slightly under 50hz which then puts it outside of the HDMI specification the TV will accept as a valid signal). I know the OSSC itself is working as if I connect it to something which doesn't care about HDMI specs then I can see the output.

Man of Honour
I got the black super NT it's awesome
27362696618_b7bad06d28_k.jpg

Soldato
Here is a bit of an updated pic of my setup, its far from finished though

What do you guys think?

Any comments welcomed

Bailey

Very nice! and also very similar https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31611380/ I bought my backing from B&Q only cost a few quid, hides all the cables, the KALLAX units really are great display units.

Loving the Ghostbusters station. I've got a draw full of all my original Ghost Busters toys from when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom