Retro console and games thread

Associate
Px77vFDl.jpg

Decided to just pick this up yesterday while I was in town. Sadly it didn't come with the manual but I don't mind, I got it to play. It was cheap enough anyway, so if I do eventually want the manual I can just spend a few quid to buy an eBay copy and give this one to my Dad.

Just a quick bit of info - online play for this no longer exists obviously, but this is a launch release title that doesn't use the standard method of game updating that came a little later. Therefore if you choose multiplayer from the main menu, you'll find the game will download the last patch for the game and update/reboot your console for you. Can't remember exactly what is changed/fixed, but it does include updates for the single player game as I remember.

Associate
Still have my Ps3 and have recently been collecting 3D compatable titles for use on my old Sony 3dtv. Motorstorm 3D rift /Apocalypse are really good in 3D, also Ridge racer 7 and Wipeout HD look beautiful with the 3D treatment.

Soldato
Instead of trying to collect everything, I decided to thin my collection out. I went for more quality items over quantity, and if I want something else, it has to replace an existing item.

Soldato
Just a quick bit of info - online play for this no longer exists obviously, but this is a launch release title that doesn't use the standard method of game updating that came a little later. Therefore if you choose multiplayer from the main menu, you'll find the game will download the last patch for the game and update/reboot your console for you. Can't remember exactly what is changed/fixed, but it does include updates for the single player game as I remember.

Thanks for this, pity online is gone though, the game was a blast to play. I'm surprised the servers that hold the updates are still available.

Associate
Had a dig around in my cupboards at the weekend and found my old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick; an absolute classic which I've not found a decent replacement for. Sadly it's Gameport (DB-15) only, and uses a special protocol which stops most Gameport to USB converters from working, so that precludes it from working on anything particularly modern :(

There are a couple of guides on t'internet to build a DIY adaptor which works, but sadly my soldering skills aren't up to scratch for that...

I have been working on a retro XP gaming PC build though, and have in my possession a Soundblaster PCI 128 (CT4810) complete with Gameport, so may give it a try on that to see it it still works...

Soldato
Had a dig around in my cupboards at the weekend and found my old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick; an absolute classic which I've not found a decent replacement for. Sadly it's Gameport (DB-15) only, and uses a special protocol which stops most Gameport to USB converters from working, so that precludes it from working on anything particularly modern :(

There are a couple of guides on t'internet to build a DIY adaptor which works, but sadly my soldering skills aren't up to scratch for that...

I have been working on a retro XP gaming PC build though, and have in my possession a Soundblaster PCI 128 (CT4810) complete with Gameport, so may give it a try on that to see it it still works...

Do you have a machine yet? I have a spare dell SFF pentium 4 base unit thats unused.

Associate
Do you have a machine yet? I have a spare dell SFF pentium 4 base unit thats unused.

Thanks for the offer, fortunately work were having a clearout of old kit and I managed to snare a couple of Dell Precision T1500 low-end workstations; pretty much the last of them which had XP support, but it's got a Gen1 Core i7 (920) CPU. Put XP on an old 120GB SSD and the thing is plenty quick enough.

Tried the SoundBlaster PCI 128 card in it last night with my Sidewinder 3D Pro, and while it didn't auto-detect it, after adding it manually using the Game Controllers Control Panel, it picked it up and the thing still works! Time for some retro iL2/LOMAC action!

Picked up a lovely Goodmans 21" flat crt last night. The picture is very square. Ignore the discolouration in the bottom left as that was because the speaker was too close to it!

I also have a Panasonic flat 21" flat crt that is much higher end than the Goodman but the picture at the top slopes to the left and it annoys the hell out of me. I wonder if there is anyone that could adjust it? I had a go in the manufacturer's settings but I haven't opened it up to fiddle with any magnets.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was exactly the case!

Even chucked in a couple of extras too... should have known better :(

Sad to hear. The retro games scene has become a bit of a disaster, everyone has cottoned on to the fact people want to collect old games so its full of re-sellers. Also if you look in various marketplaces people are always trying to put a ridiculous price onto common items.

Man of Honour
Sad to hear. The retro games scene has become a bit of a disaster, everyone has cottoned on to the fact people want to collect old games so its full of re-sellers. Also if you look in various marketplaces people are always trying to put a ridiculous price onto common items.
I spent around 3 grand 10 years or so again on building out my collection of mainly old home computers of the best quality. Sold well today I could see £12K to £15K for the lot if I didn't rush to market and need to sell.

Back
Top Bottom