Retro console and games thread

Soldato
I've been thinking of playing a bit more PS2 and Dreamcast and it seems most Dreamcast games have become "not dirt cheap" anymore on eBay!

One of the main things that puts me off my PS2 is the loud fan on my fat PS2. I'm thinking of just getting one of the slim models. Is there any reason why the fat one is better? I've found a slim PS2 and 18 games (and they're not garbage games) for £40 which I'm thinking about going for.

The only thing I would mention is that the Slims lose the emotion engine chip, so PS1 games only play with software emulation and there are a few PS2 games that become incompatible too. Probably not an issue for you, but surprised me when I was looking into it.

Also the SCPH- 500xx are much quieter than the previous models. Mine are almost silent compared to my 3900x.

Soldato
Moved by Q6600 / 6800 Ultra Retro XP machine test bench so I can have some fun with this later:

O4vE8CLl.jpg

Now I just need a decent way to capture the DC so I can create some videos looking at the various games I have on the system. Ideally I want one of the complete x to HDMI conversion boxes but they are a bit rich for me right now.

:)

Man of Honour
Rescued a couple of 4:3 LCD monitors that were about to be thrown in the skip at work and destined for landfill.

They seemed perfect for a retro emulation system, so I thought I'd save them and try give them a new home that wasn't a big hole in the ground.

I'm going to give them away in the MM so I thought I'd give a heads up here, as I'd prefer them to go to somewhere they'd be more appreciated.

Soldato

Apologies for the quality of this photo - taken from my phone, which doesn't like the TV for some reason. The actual TV image is pin-sharp.

Here we have the two computers which kickstarted the entire UK videogaming industry, and which started careers in computing for a whole generation (including me!). Of course the BBC and the C64 helped, but it was the Sinclair machines that started the boom in home computers in the 80's.

I got the ZX81 recently to go with my refurbed ZX Spectrum. It's been fully refurbed with a new ULA chip (they were prone to overheating and failure), 32k onboard RAM, recapped, new voltage regulator, and composite mod. I think the keyboard is new too.

The only annoying thing is that the signal from the ZX81 is non-standard so modern TVs (and even older monitors) can't sync while it's loading, so you get a blank screen while loading rather than loading bars which takes away a small bit of the retro experience.

I've been loading tapes using a ZXUITape arduino based device which emulates a tape deck and stores games on SD card, and has proven to be very reliable compared to how it was back in the day.

I've been having lots of fun playing the old classic games and typing in listings. It's amazing how muscle memory from 40 years ago kicks in when using the old keyword entry system.

Soldato
Loved this as a kid so when I bought a Wii I grabbed it from the Virtual Console.
Still boot it up now & again, multiplayer with my daughters is amazing!!

It's definitely as fun as I remember it. :D I've even managed to get the missus on it and she doesn't usually like games.

Great game but se it ti 4:3

Unfortunately that's the only TV I've got!

Permabanned
You know what, I've never even thought to look! Next time I fire it up, I'll check it out. :)

Like the comments above most tvs can do it even the cheapo ones. Urs looks fancy just stretched to 16 9. Just looks really odd. All personal preference but it was made for 4 3 display so that's how I'd do it

Soldato
I've been using my Mega Drive on that TV for years and it just never occurred to me to change the aspect ratio. I just thought I'd have to live with it as I was playing on a modern TV. :cry:

Permabanned
I've been using my Mega Drive on that TV for years and it just never occurred to me to change the aspect ratio. I just thought I'd have to live with it as I was playing on a modern TV. :cry:

Maybe look it to hdmi or rgb mods for better image quality? I've tried a few retro consoles on modern tvs and they have always looked terrible

Back
Top Bottom