Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Ah I’ve looked into this previously. I was going to go with the translation patch, as I’d heard the 4MB patch only really affected the menu loading time? I’ll need to check it again.

There are a two which I would check out.

YZB 4MB patch:

CD layout has been optimized.
Disk-reading slowdown has been eliminated by preloading data to a 4MB ram cart.
Smoother character animations, you can now skip cutscenes.

Paul_met / Meduza Team patch:

Restoration of translucency of many objects;
English translation of some elements;
Direct access to the global map;
Finalization of the global map;
Restoration of the original proportions of some sprites;
Removing horizontal black bars of the screen;
Skipping videos and dialogues;
Access to Richter’s alternate costume;
Reduced loading time;
Support for 4MB expansion card

Removal of 480i menu

I've tried both and the Paul_met patch plays quite well but seems to have a few visual glitches, at least on my saturn.

Soldato
There are a two which I would check out.

YZB 4MB patch:

CD layout has been optimized.
Disk-reading slowdown has been eliminated by preloading data to a 4MB ram cart.
Smoother character animations, you can now skip cutscenes.

Paul_met / Meduza Team patch:

Restoration of translucency of many objects;
English translation of some elements;
Direct access to the global map;
Finalization of the global map;
Restoration of the original proportions of some sprites;
Removing horizontal black bars of the screen;
Skipping videos and dialogues;
Access to Richter’s alternate costume;
Reduced loading time;
Support for 4MB expansion card
Removal of 480i menu

I've tried both and the Paul_met patch plays quite well but seems to have a few visual glitches, at least on my saturn.

I just caught mention of this third patch on segasaturnshiro last night. Gutted to hear it was giving you glitches. I’ll give it a shot. Hopefully the community will continue to refine such patches, their commitment to these old consoles is fantastic.

Soldato
Had some time today so I ran the Paul_met patch for SOTN. Very simple and done in seconds. Runs well and the minor translation for the menu screen is a big help. Haven’t seen any glitches so far, well none beyond the standard game. Made some good progress but crikey it can get pretty challenging :D

I fancy trying the PS1 version to compare now.

Managed to try a few other games; Duke Nukem 3D is still fun and plays well on the Saturn. I certainly prefer it to the N64 version, which I found rather difficult to control. Virtua Fighter 2 also is still a great game, even after all these years… playing that brought back memories too.

I’ve got loads more games to work through, think I’ll be busy for a while.

Soldato
Had some time today so I ran the Paul_met patch for SOTN. Very simple and done in seconds. Runs well and the minor translation for the menu screen is a big help. Haven’t seen any glitches so far, well none beyond the standard game. Made some good progress but crikey it can get pretty challenging :D

I fancy trying the PS1 version to compare now.

Managed to try a few other games; Duke Nukem 3D is still fun and plays well on the Saturn. I certainly prefer it to the N64 version, which I found rather difficult to control. Virtua Fighter 2 also is still a great game, even after all these years… playing that brought back memories too.

I’ve got loads more games to work through, think I’ll be busy for a while.

I recently uploaded a play through of Paul_met's Quality Hack for SoTN

I'd highly recommend it. Improvement over the original release.

Soldato
That does look really good. Damn now I want a PS1 with Xstation even more :(
Bit pricey but well worth it, a few eBay users I follow have recently put a few pre-installed systems up for sale. I've purchased my PS1 and Saturn from both before and I'd easily recommend either seller. Unless you're good at soldering, it is quite complex to install.

Soldato
Bit pricey but well worth it, a few eBay users I follow have recently put a few pre-installed systems up for sale. I've purchased my PS1 and Saturn from both before and I'd easily recommend either seller. Unless you're good at soldering, it is quite complex to install.

Yeah, I’ve had a look at those on the bay, but most seem a little rough cosmetically. My soldering is ok, but time is an issue too. I’ll keep an eye out.

In the meantime I’ve just reflashed my Saturn Action Replay cart with Abrasive’s firmware. Finally I can drop out from in-game, back into the Satiator’s menu, among other things.

Associate
Soldering is quite easy once you get the hang of it and its always a useful skill to have. Just make sure the solder sticks to your iron. A new soldering iron tip may take some working into before you can solder with it. I use a soldering gun from the 90s and my soldering iron is just a basic one from the late 80s nothing special but I do all my soldering with it.

Soldato
Soldering is quite easy once you get the hang of it and its always a useful skill to have. Just make sure the solder sticks to your iron. A new soldering iron tip may take some working into before you can solder with it. I use a soldering gun from the 90s and my soldering iron is just a basic one from the late 80s nothing special but I do all my soldering with it.
I tried my hand at it years ago. I wasn't very good :D. I tried to mod a GBC by adding a front light taken from a GBA. It was a cheap soldering iron and I didn't have the patience to get the job done after failing to get it working first time. If I had decent equipment, I'd like to try soldering again but perhaps not installing an XStation.

I've got a couple of mods I'd like to do, particularly with the Dreamcast. I want to add a battery holder and maybe a new LED.

Soldato
I've found myself browsing CeX while in town more often. I used to hate the idea of using CeX due to chances of getting scratched up discs or whatever, but now I just think why bother? I'm not buying to build a collection and so long as the games work and are playable. Prices of some older games now make them much easier to just pick up a couple.

So at the weekend I ended up getting these for Xbox 360.
  • Call of Duty: Finest Hour (Xbox game but runs with backwards compatibility)
  • Call of Duty 3
  • Nat Geo Quizz: Wild Life
  • Championship Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop Racer
Also picked up Gran Turismo 6 for PS3. It's the only GT game I have never played.

Also while I understand them being posted here is subjective, pretty much everything in the Consoles section is about new consoles / games. Not many posts may end up being about PS3/360 in here, would it be an okay to maybe set up a single thread dedicated to each console talk.

Soldato
I still have a reasonable PS3 game collection ~40 games, but it feels like a rather forgotten console. No one seems to talk/post about it much. It surprises me as the games/hardware are quite cheap and plentiful.

Just the other week I picked up the Metal Gear Solid HD collection and a sealed copy of Metal Gear Revengeance for not much money. I want to play through all the MGS games and it made more sense to buy an updated version on the PS3, than the original games on the PS1/2.

Soldato
I have one of the 40gb PS3 consoles that can do backwards compatibility. Absolutely brilliant system....tad noisy but that's par for the course for the PS3 tbh.

Stuck a 500gb HDD in it and have my monster PSPLUS and purchased game catalogue all on it as well as a load of psone and PS2 Classics.

It is a bit of a forgotten system these days, bang on there. So many great games, loads I want to get again thinking about it. Killzone 3 is still stand out graphically for me. GT6 was a great game, monster improvement over the previous game.

It was the start of the road for a lot of big franchises too with uncharted, little big planet, infamous, last of us and motorstorm games.

Was also a sensibly priced way for me to get hold of Gradius V for the PS2 again via digital, I love that game so much!

Soldato
Yet because its not classed as retro, they don't fit within the rules to be posted in this forum. Post anything in Consoles section and it'll be lost within a few hours and never resurface.

So I'd be up for a "Official Xbox 360 Discussion" and a "Official PlayStation 3 Discussion" threads, if they'd be allowed. Keeping all posts to one thread to talk about the various things the consoles offer.

Rules in here need to expand beyond what's currently on the allowed list IMO.

Soldato
I think PS3 and X360 should not be classed as retro as it was 2 generations ago and releases were 2005 and 2007.

I'm not saying they are retro, but I feel they should be allowed to be discussed somewhere where they will be seen by the people who are still most likely playing them (here in this section), even as just one single thread for the console. Rather than in the Consoles section that is full of new generation console games/talk and almost anything from previous gens (maybe exception of PS4) just disappears and only those who are searching for specific PS3/X360 threads will find.

Soldato
Personally I'd consider the PS3 to be verging on retro now.

I agree the rules for this sub should be updated. No talk about post Dreamcast seems really outdated. Upto Wii could definitely be considered retro now IMO.

I still use my PS3 now days but mostly for move lightgun games and G-Con 3. Quite a few multiplat 360/PS3 era games worth playing are available via backwards compatibility on the Xbox One / Series, including Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD.

Soldato
Personally I'd consider the PS3 to be verging on retro now.

I agree the rules for this sub should be updated. No talk about post Dreamcast seems really outdated. Upto Wii could definitely be considered retro now IMO.

I still use my PS3 now days but mostly for move lightgun games and G-Con 3. Quite a few multiplat 360/PS3 era games worth playing are available via backwards compatibility on the Xbox One / Series, including Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD.
The rules are so retro they don’t include what is now seen to be retro :p

Back
Top Bottom