Retro console and games thread

Associate
I loved my PS3 The first one I bought was the FAT version and I used it often to play car games and GTA5 until it started overheating and fans ran at full speed. It sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I cleaned it out and applied new thermal paste and that fixed it for a short time until the issue came back so I modded the case for better air flow but made no difference so I bought another the slim version and the same thing eventually happened to that console as well so I gave up on PS3 consoles and moved towards PC gaming.

Associate
I have recently bought a few broken Fat ps3,s while ive been out of work to give me something to do. Some only needed minor repairs like lasers and repaste but i was happy when i got some of the red/ylod blinkers back up and running.I had one with a damaged hdmi port but found it hard to find new replacement ports so i opted for a cheap PS2HDMI adapter £5 ebay which goes into the AVport and converts a component signal to hdmi quite nicely. I find the old Fat models are lovely looking when all polished up... a thing of beauty :)

Soldato
I finally decide to mod my PAL Dreamcast, but realise my timing is terrible; I’ve ‘just’ missed the most recent official GDEMU run and the non-clone DCHDMI board appears out of stock with most of the reputable installers. Typical, going to have to wait a bit longer then :( I was also going to use this opportunity to mod the PSU, fan and battery.

My delay in not doing this sooner was down to not wanting to cannibalise my mint DC. However the other night - in a weak moment - I purchased a new, sealed NTSC-J unit (alongside a new, sealed transparent blue N64) which has opened the way for modding to begin.

I want to get an XStation also, but my PS1 isn’t the right model, so there’s another purchase waiting down the line. Is anyone else waiting for mods or similar to become available?

Soldato
I finally decide to mod my PAL Dreamcast, but realise my timing is terrible; I’ve ‘just’ missed the most recent official GDEMU run and the non-clone DCHDMI board appears out of stock with most of the reputable installers. Typical, going to have to wait a bit longer then :( I was also going to use this opportunity to mod the PSU, fan and battery.

My delay in not doing this sooner was down to not wanting to cannibalise my mint DC. However the other night - in a weak moment - I purchased a new, sealed NTSC-J unit (alongside a new, sealed transparent blue N64) which has opened the way for modding to begin.

I want to get an XStation also, but my PS1 isn’t the right model, so there’s another purchase waiting down the line. Is anyone else waiting for mods or similar to become available?
Not at the moment, I've got all of the ODE's I could need for now. I've seen you can get a cloned GDEmu with the latest update installed. Might be worth checking out AliExpress.

You can get XStation preinstalled for a reasonable price from reputable modders on eBay. Hit me up if you want a link.

Soldato
Not at the moment, I've got all of the ODE's I could need for now. I've seen you can get a cloned GDEmu with the latest update installed. Might be worth checking out AliExpress.

You can get XStation preinstalled for a reasonable price from reputable modders on eBay. Hit me up if you want a link.

Yeah I’m not so keen on the clones… plus a couple of modders/installers I’ve spoken to have warned me off. I’ve waited this long, so I can wait a bit longer. I was originally going for a couple of TO Modes, but I think a GDEMU would suffice for the DC and I prefer the Satiator in my Saturn.

Preinstalled could be an option for the XStation, however the couple I’ve seen on EBay looked pretty rough tbh. It may/may not be a reflection on the quality of the install, but it’s put me off so far.

Im hoping the GDEMU along with the other mods will rekindle my love for the DC. Which of your modded consoles are you playing the most Joe?

Soldato
Yeah I’m not so keen on the clones… plus a couple of modders/installers I’ve spoken to have warned me off. I’ve waited this long, so I can wait a bit longer. I was originally going for a couple of TO Modes, but I think a GDEMU would suffice for the DC and I prefer the Satiator in my Saturn.

Preinstalled could be an option for the XStation, however the couple I’ve seen on EBay looked pretty rough tbh. It may/may not be a reflection on the quality of the install, but it’s put me off so far.

Im hoping the GDEMU along with the other mods will rekindle my love for the DC. Which of your modded consoles are you playing the most Joe?
Dreamcast at the moment but I've been playing a lot of PS1 via MiSTer, otherwise I'd probably have the PS1 still set up. The core has come across really nicely. My set up at the moment is for two consoles, one with Component and the other via Scart (RetroTINK 5x). So I've got a Wii set up for Gamecube and Dreamcast (480p Scart).

I am hoping Retro Gaming Cables will release their scart switcher soon. They've been teasing prototypes for quite a while. I'd quite like to have my Saturn and 64 setup alongside.

I've got a GDEmu clone and it has been solid since I installed it. Tempted to upgrade to a newer version but questioning whether it is worth it just for Code Veronia and Skies of Arcadia (I can play both via GC). I've always missed out on official ones, otherwise I would have one installed.

The MODE looks good but recent attitude of the owner towards Krikzz has put me off the company if I am honest.

Soldato
Dreamcast at the moment but I've been playing a lot of PS1 via MiSTer, otherwise I'd probably have the PS1 still set up. The core has come across really nicely. My set up at the moment is for two consoles, one with Component and the other via Scart (RetroTINK 5x). So I've got a Wii set up for Gamecube and Dreamcast (480p Scart).

I am hoping Retro Gaming Cables will release their scart switcher soon. They've been teasing prototypes for quite a while. I'd quite like to have my Saturn and 64 setup alongside.

I've got a GDEmu clone and it has been solid since I installed it. Tempted to upgrade to a newer version but questioning whether it is worth it just for Code Veronia and Skies of Arcadia (I can play both via GC). I've always missed out on official ones, otherwise I would have one installed.

The MODE looks good but recent attitude of the owner towards Krikzz has put me off the company if I am honest.

Ah, MiSTer. I’d forgotten about that. I guess that’s my other option vs an Xstation, but I doubt it’s much cheaper. Doesn’t MiSTer cover the Saturn and DC too, or did I make that up?

Im currently using an OSSC with my consoles and it’s decent, but not perfect. I was hoping the Pro would be out soon, but that looks a long wait also. Do you rate the RT 5x? I was thinking that might be a step up over the OSSC and might given me a better picture for the PS1/PS2.

I could do with a scart switcher too actually - lord my list gets ever longer. At the moment I have my DC, Saturn, N64 and PC Engine DUO-R all vying for connection to my scaler. HDMI mods would resolve the DC and N64, but I’ve still a PS1/2 I’d want to connect too :D

Has there been beef coming from TO? That’s unfortunate, I definitely rate Krikzz’s efforts. The retro community functions best when everyone is pulling together in the same direction.

Soldato
Ah, MiSTer. I’d forgotten about that. I guess that’s my other option vs an Xstation, but I doubt it’s much cheaper. Doesn’t MiSTer cover the Saturn and DC too, or did I make that up?

Im currently using an OSSC with my consoles and it’s decent, but not perfect. I was hoping the Pro would be out soon, but that looks a long wait also. Do you rate the RT 5x? I was thinking that might be a step up over the OSSC and might given me a better picture for the PS1/PS2.

I could do with a scart switcher too actually - lord my list gets ever longer. At the moment I have my DC, Saturn, N64 and PC Engine DUO-R all vying for connection to my scaler. HDMI mods would resolve the DC and N64, but I’ve still a PS1/2 I’d want to connect too :D

Has there been beef coming from TO? That’s unfortunate, I definitely rate Krikzz’s efforts. The retro community functions best when everyone is pulling together in the same direction.
I think the MiSTer is over £400 to build now (if you want all the cores). Last I saw a DE-10 Nano was over £200, that said with the PSX core and Saturn on the way, I am tempted to build another.

A 32x core got released the other day, but there are some issues to sort out. The same dev is working on a Sega Saturn core and has been for quite some time.

I've heard that N64 is a definite no go for the FPGA, as it has potentially reached the limits but who knows. I doubt we will see a Dreamcast FPGA for a very long time, definitely not on current hardware.

I was gutted the OSSC Pro got put on hold due to shortages. Hopefully we get to see it later this year if the situation improves.

Lack of a decent scart switcher is why the MiSTer gets a lot of my time. It is so handy having all those cores on the one HDMI cable. Some of the HDMI mods available for the older consoles seem great, if you can get hold of the kit. Unfortunately I don't have the soldering skills to install them.

Yeah TO owner was taking shots at Krikzz for being able to leave Ukraine during what has happened.

Associate
I think the MiSTer is over £400 to build now (if you want all the cores). Last I saw a DE-10 Nano was over £200, that said with the PSX core and Saturn on the way, I am tempted to build another.

A 32x core got released the other day, but there are some issues to sort out. The same dev is working on a Sega Saturn core and has been for quite some time.

I've heard that N64 is a definite no go for the FPGA, as it has potentially reached the limits but who knows. I doubt we will see a Dreamcast FPGA for a very long time, definitely not on current hardware.

I was gutted the OSSC Pro got put on hold due to shortages. Hopefully we get to see it later this year if the situation improves.

Lack of a decent scart switcher is why the MiSTer gets a lot of my time. It is so handy having all those cores on the one HDMI cable. Some of the HDMI mods available for the older consoles seem great, if you can get hold of the kit. Unfortunately I don't have the soldering skills to install them.

Yeah TO owner was taking shots at Krikzz for being able to leave Ukraine during what has happened.

Every now and again I'll take a look at Mister advances or changes but I'd complely missed the 32x core release! That's a pretty good one to be fair and the Saturn one will be great when it is finished. It looks like it has a few bugs but they will get fixed soon I'm sure.

I was looking at getting a hydra scart switch or similar but in the end I've just decided to use a scart port save and just plug and unplug from that instead!

I've not seen anything about the issue with terraonion and krikzz but I can see both sides of that but it's a discussion for GD I think! I don't see why it needs bringing up though from a tech company.

Soldato
Picked up the 'Race Controller' for the Dreamcast yesterday from CeX for £15.

Had an absolute blast playing Crazy Taxi:

Looking forward to trying Daytona next!
Finally got round to watching this run! No crazy drifting?!?! Are you.... CRAZY!!!

For a min I thought you we're going to do the classic start as well, bang it in reverse and pick up the cable car bottom person who's a second or two behind the start position

Soldato
Finally got round to watching this run! No crazy drifting?!?! Are you.... CRAZY!!!

For a min I thought you we're going to do the classic start as well, bang it in reverse and pick up the cable car bottom person who's a second or two behind the start position
Thanks for watching :D. I've never been great at doing the crazy drifts, I did recently complete crazy box mode and the drift bowling one was an absolute nightmare.

This was my first time using the official steering wheel, improved my game over controller. I am hoping to get better runs soon. Aiming for a crazy licence. Managed $8k runs, so I have a lot of work to do, mainly around route and customer pickups.

Soldato
Thanks for watching :D. I've never been great at doing the crazy drifts, I did recently complete crazy box mode and the drift bowling one was an absolute nightmare.

This was my first time using the official steering wheel, improved my game over controller. I am hoping to get better runs soon. Aiming for a crazy licence. Managed $8k runs, so I have a lot of work to do, mainly around route and customer pickups.

The drifting is key to manipulating the multiplier for big money, you had loads of stops but small fairs, when if you drift loads (like using it to aim at things to park into) it cranks up the cash fast! Same with crazy through on the wrong side of the road and taking any jumps you see.

Route finding in there is also fun, 22 years on I still compulsively go up the car park ramp after the park and get cross when I accident pick up someone who goes back on our self :cry:

Back
Top Bottom