Return of the Obra Dinn (my GOTY 2018)

Soldato
This thread is dedicated to an utterly brilliant indie game, by the creator of Papers Please (yet so much more briliant than that). Forget Battlefields, Fortnites, Assassin's Creeds. This is my GOTY 2018 (well, after Rimworld, which has been released too...).

Return of the Obra Dinn

This is a murder mystery game aboard a sea vessel in the early 19th century. You have to solve murders by wandering around a deserted vessel - using a book, a compass that teleports you back in time, and by walking around diaromas of events on board the ship.

The Eurogamer review is excellent and describes the game well.

Why is it worth buying?

+ Fantastic monochrome 3D graphics, like you've never seen before.
+ Challenging -yet fair - gameplay
+ Superb voice acting (reminds you of a quality podcast or radio drama) and music
+ About 10-15 hours long, if you don't cheat (and I recommend you don't)
+ The story and characters are just brilliant

I'm not sure, it looks a bit odd and I'm not sure if I should buy it?

Stop being an idiot: https://store.steampowered.com/app/653530/Return_of_the_Obra_Dinn/

Man of Honour
Hmm, looks quite intriguing. Essentially I have a spare £20ish knocking around and its going to be a toss up between this and Thronebreaker, need to research a bit more before deciding which one I buy.

Soldato
I only discovered this gem in last couple of weeks and after 21hrs I have finally completed it. Real joy from start to finish.
Not for everyone I know but I would definitely recommend - give it a good go before dismissing :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom