Returned from holiday PC wont turn on. PSU!?

Associate
Hi all,

I was just wanting people's opinions on things.

I got home after 4 days and my PC will not turn on, at first I assumed it was plugged in wrong as I did unplug it before going away.

So I double checked the cable then tried another cable and tried other appliances and they were fine, so its not the cable or switches.

Anyway I don't get it the motherboard which is a Asus P5G41T-M LX has the LED on it flashing to say there is power there and its plugged in and the psu is turned on but the switch just wont turn the PC on.

I tested the PSU by turning it on manually with a peice of wire (you know red to green?) as I assumed the PSU would be the problem.

Well the PSU sort of turned on but it was odd it sort of pulsed if you understand? there were still case fans plugged into it to let me see if they worked when I turned it on and they sort of pulsed on off on off as I was turning the psu on they weren't constant which I have never seen before.

Can someone tell me if the PSU is likely to be dead?? I just don't understand how my PC went from fine one day to not working without anything touching it 4 days later.

Soldato
Certainly sounds like a psu problem. That pulsing sounds odd if the psu was working properly it wouldn't be pulsing like you describe.

Was the pc unplugged while you were away? Could it of been used while you were away? Have you checked the connections to the motherboard?

Associate
OP
Well I looked at all the connections and such and they were fine, it was unplugged when I left.

The thing thats really bothering me is I left my "friend" ... the keys to my flat to feed my fish and I haven't spoken to him since I got back yesterday and I don't know if he messed around with it I don't see why he would as its passworded and he doesn't know it or is capable of reseting it.

Anyway I need to ask him because what really bothered me more than anything when I was plugging it back in I noticed the grills for the front and side fan intakes were caked with dust and this deffinetly was not the case when I left which to me indicates he messed about with it but he would never admit to it if he did... so now I need to try and figure out whats wrong regardless of wheather he used it or not.

I wont be leaving him to feed my fish again he filled my bin with beer cans and bottles some people haven't heard of recycling :mad:

Associate
OP
Green to black?

I laughed hard at this as for the past 5 hours or so I was re-thinking it in my head like.... wait did I really do green to red... and I think I did and I know its green to black I will have to look again when I get home... hopefully I didn't break anything.

Would explain the pulsing though.

I will know at 5:30pm what the score is with the PSU.

Associate
Oh if you vacate a house during winter months always leave the heating on (if you're double glazed an hour in the morning and evening should be absolutely fine). I've had a PC hang a boot after not being there for a week due to a lack of heating. It was fine once the room warmed up again.

Associate
OP
Oh if you vacate a house during winter months always leave the heating on (if you're double glazed an hour in the morning and evening should be absolutely fine). I've had a PC hang a boot after not being there for a week due to a lack of heating. It was fine once the room warmed up again.

I sure hope this is it, my flat is cold as hell its electric heating and there was no heating on while I was away.

I spoke to the friend who fed my fish he said he never touched my pc so I don't know what to make of it.

Hoping its fine when I get home tonight I will play around again I was just too tired when I got home last night to spend a lot of time tinkering with it.

Associate
OP
Bump!

Ok news I should have posted last night but I was fed up after spending so long trying to get my pc to turn on.

I tested the PSU and it worked but the weird thing about it was it took a coupld tries doing the black/green to get it to turn on so not sure what to make of that.

After seeing that the power supply turned on I again tried the computer itself but it wouldn't turn on, thinking the button may have some how broken I tried manually turning the PC using another peice of wire and switch with no joy.

So I think it might be the motherboard but I visually inspected it for some time and there was no signs of damaged caps etc.

The motherboard / psu are both 4 - 5 months old and this is the first time I have any problems. I stupidly bought both the psu and motherboard through amazon thinking I was saving money but I really wish I went with overclockers now because I know what a joy the customer service is compared to amazon I may just replace it from overclockers and save myself the headache of trying to get it replaced on Amazon.

Still can't wrap my head around the whole go on holiday its fine get back its dead thing, my friend assured me he never touched my PC but I don't know if I belive him :/ wish he would have just admitted to it if he did would save me wandering whats caused this, its the not knowing thats bothering me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the LED light on the motherboard which indicated that the system has power avalible blinks on and off which according to the manual is normal so thats another thing thats throwing me off.

EDIT 2: Just checked I only had a 30 day window on that motherboard if it broke and its expired so need to find a new motherboard now :(

EDIT 3: I have just purchased a new motherboard so lets hope for the best I guess, if its not the motherboard that sucks :D

Last edited:
Associate
He can't of just been feeding your fish if there was also beer cans in your bin? He wouldn't "fiddle" with your computer out of jealousy by any chance? I had a similar problem with "friends" and a car I owned a few years ago.

Associate
Might sound daft but have you checked the 6/8pin connection into the MB? With only the 24pin connected the mobo will sorta power on but won't post or anything, I've had that happen before when I've been dumb enough to forget about plugging it in during a build, and when powering on the fans pulsed for a moment (mind you they were only connected to the mobo, might have been a different story connected to the psu itself).

Probably ain't that, but a stab in the dark never hurts :p

Associate
OP
Hi guys I didn't forget about this thread im still waiting on the new motherboard I ordered, I will need to sort out the old one if its broken later I ordered it in August so its still within the year.

Anyway my new motherboard should have arrived yesterday (waste of money paying for next day) so it should be here today and I can confirm if its the motherboard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom