Returning ex-employers equipment

Associate
Hi,

wonder if anyone can advise, I left my old job about 4 months ago and still have their laptop and monitor. I have contacted them a couple of times and just get a reply that someone will come and collect it (office is closed due to covid as far as I am aware). I'd perfer them to collect as the office is not that close, but happy to take it back to them if they can arrange for someone to meet me / give access to the office so that its left in a secure place.

Quite happy to hold onto it and keep it safe as its all boxed up but would sooner it was not taking up room in my flat, if they are not being forthcomming, despite my offering to return it do I remain liable for any damage etc.

How long should I give it before I assume that they are not interested in the retun of the kit (approx £2200)

Soldato
As long as its in your possession I would
Assume you are liable for any damage
Even with covid19 4 months is taking
The **** in my opinion
They could have arranged a courier to collect it
I would send them a recorded letter and an email ~there are softwares you can use that tell you your email has been read
Forget the name as usual my memory
Sucks
But I did it once and it even told me what mobile phone my email was opened on, what time etc
I would give them 30 days notice which should be plenty of time in my opinion
But if they don't collect it what would you
Intend to do with it?
Really you need legal advice so it doesn't
Come back and bite you
Rather than our opinion
There are websites you can get a lawyer
Answer your question for free
Others there's a fee

Associate
Can you not just courier it to them, providing they cover the cost? If the office is so far away that it would be an inconvenience for you to drop off, I would assume a courier would work out cheaper than an employees time to collect from you in person anyway.

Associate
OP
quite happy take it (about an hour by car) just to get it out of the house before the missus goes into meltdown.. no one is talking to me at the moment apart from a couple of messages that they will get someone to collect when the restrictions are lifted. A real pain in the ****

Soldato
Send them a recorded delivery letter (to their HR department and a copy to your old boss whoever that may be) stating that you are happy to return it to them at a pre-arranged time/place OR they can arrange someone to uplift it within the next 14 days.

Should they not arrange such an option, you will securely dispose of the items.

That should get them moving.

Soldato
Send them a recorded delivery letter (to their HR department and a copy to your old boss whoever that may be) stating that you are happy to return it to them at a pre-arranged time/place OR they can arrange someone to uplift it within the next 14 days.

Should they not arrange such an option, you will securely dispose of the items.

That should get them moving.

This is good advice, although i think i'd give it a little bit longer just so that if it ever went to court, you could show that you'd given adequate amount of time and notice to your ex-employer to pick up their equipment.

Soldato
This is good advice, although i think i'd give it a little bit longer just so that if it ever went to court, you could show that you'd given adequate amount of time and notice to your ex-employer to pick up their equipment.

Don't disagree but 14 days with the offer to return himself OR them pick up should be clear that he's given more than ample opportunity for them to arrange a suitable option.

Just to be clear OP - When I say dispose I mean dispose, not keep and sell on/ebay it. That just looks bad if anything ever came of it.

Back
Top Bottom