Returning Items, where do I stand?

Associate
So to cut a long story short I recently bought a new TV from Comet with all the gubbins, speakers, Blu-Ray etc.

Now having no knowledge about this field and whats what I bought what I was told I had to, to stop the picture being **** and having great sound.

But it would apear having done some research that I've been taken to the cleaners because firstly, the speakers he has sold me, I've now found out are actually for a PC, and secondly the £70 HDMI cable will probaby work the same as a £1.50 one.

I did go in when I found out about the speakers and he assured me if i'm not happy with them once installed I can take them back but he assured me I wouldnt.

Now after finding out about the cable my mind is to tell them to take everything back and stick it where the sun dont shine. Now the issue is that all the items were bought more than 7 days ago (10 i think) though they are all boxed as I dont get the TV delivered till next week.

On their website they reckon for any chance of a refund you have to take items back within 7 days.

So am I screwed or does anyone have any words of wisdom as to where I stand in this situation?

(funny thing is he had two TV's together and said one was the hdmi cable the tv was supplied with which was terrible, the other a £70 cable which was pristine, but on the net some people when having been shown the same have noticed the **** version isnt even using a HDMI cable)

Thanks

Soldato
Are you trolling?
Seriously?
You've been a member for 4 years and you haven't read the monthly thread on dodgy places lying and using scart cables pretending they are cheap hdmi?

Tv hasn't been delivered, bring the stuff back boxed, ask for refund. See what they say.

Associate
OP
I've been a member for 4 years but only pop on once in a blue moon and usually only for specific things, so afraid I've not read anything similar or I wouldnt be in this situation.

Associate
OP
In front of the returns desk like everyone else

:)

But yeah i'll be taking them back to the store today if I can or tommorow at the latest, so will see what they say. I had just wondered if someone had maybe been in the same situation in terms of taking stuff back after 7 days. Hopefully theres no issue.

Soldato
They are unopened, and the TV has not yet been delivered. I cant see there being an issue.

If there is then you obviously will say you dont want the TV either and then what need do you have for the rest of the stuff?

Can't type for toffee
Don
Rinsed :(

What is the TV?
What are the speakers?
Whats the HDMI Cable?

DSR (Distance Selling Regulations) is not applicable to store bought items.
The store in question does not have to accept the items back if you have simply
changed your mind.

However if you can pop in ahead of time and take a pic of the connections used on the 2 TV's you were told were using the standard HDMI and the super Duper HDMI if they are not the correct ones then as above I'd quite happily argue a misselling situation.

Soldato
Comet said:
For click and collect, call & collect and store purchases that are brand new and still sealed in the box - bring it back with your receipt within 7 days of purchase and we’ll credit you with a gift card or offer you a full refund.

Unless he ordered all the items seperately his order has not yet been fully delivered (yeh, I know is says purchased but if he's decent about it he should get handled reasonably) so I would argue that he is well within his rights to ask for a full refund as per Comet's own terms.

Associate
OP
TV: Samsung UE40D5520R
Speakers: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-an...s/companion-3-speaker-system/?mc=GB/05WPS1027
Cable: Monster 1000EX HDMI

And yeah everything is on the same order, but the difference is that we got given the blue-ray, speakers and cable top take away and the TV isnt delivered till Monday.

I'm just waiting for some deliveries though they have till 8pm tonight, but if they come earlier i'll head down to comet today and see what happens.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you have a right to a full refund. I suspect they will make it very hard for you.

That Monster cable is a total scam though. And Bose are the emperors clothes of speakers :(

Soldato
I don't see how Monster can sell all this **** without getting the book thrown at them, digital signals are either 0 or 1, and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. :(

Soldato
I see what you're saying Vinni, but you could make the same argument about watches or cars... or at least you could stretch the argument.

The point at which it becomes wrong is where the salesperson in the shop tells you that you need a £70 cable, or that it will affect the picture.... and sadly that's your words vs theirs.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Speakers definatley seem to be desktop speakers to me tbh.
Can they even be connected to the BR player? :confused:
Don't think anyone would recommend using an Aux cable.

And christ at the price, you could get a proper 5.1 Av entry level setup for that.

I'd definatley be looking for a complete refund.

Get down before the delivery tho and see if they will cancel delivery
they may otherwise charge you for the collection.

Associate
OP
Again, this is no doubt due to my ignorance on the matter but I have a 5.1 system at the moment but its pretty old now so thought i'd get a new system with the new TV. the salesman told me that this system was fantastic for various reasons and i made it clear because I was a tad dubious due to only having 3 speakers, that it had to sound better than what I currently have or else theres no point to it, and he assured me it would.

When i read they are basically for PC's I went in and complained and he said that if i'm not 100% happy I can take them back, but on their T&C's it pretty much states that if you open the box and then decide you dont want it for a reason other than being faulty, then you dont have a leg to stand on.

My issue now is that they clearly have pretty low morals as it stands so I dont really fancy taking his word for it that they will take them back once opened. Plus i'm fairly dubious that they will outperform what I have currently.

Soldato
It centres around you being mis-sold by them. That's where you need to say they are due to give you a refund. You bought it based on their advice which doesn't stand to be good advice.

You are returning them as unfit for purpose, which is entirely different than you saying "I just don't want em".

Back
Top Bottom