Returning to the UK - Manchester

Soldato
I love living here. City wise I've lived in London, Dubai and Manchester and this is where I'm staying. We're in the south in Chorlton but I'm setting up my business in the centre near Picadilly Station. The commutes by car are a little tiresome as the roads were never meant for this much traffic but they're in the middle of ripping the whole lot out (literally all of the roads. At the same time. It's great), so hopefully that will help a lot of it. There's also the trams as you know, they're great. And the cycle lanes are decent (in Chorlton) and getting better, lots of proposals approved recently.

There's tonnes of cinemas, loads of great food, always lots to do. It's like a smaller, less miserable (although wetter) London.

Soldato
Don't worry about food! Picadilly gardens is right on the edge of the Northern Quarter with so many excellent food places you won't know where to begin!

Not sure about nowadays

Nowadays? Google piccadilly Gardens spice, advising to go to one of the country's crime hot spots for food :confused: Brunch with zombies doesn't sound fun :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
When I lived there, this was always the one: Akbars

Theres one here in Brum as well and the original is from Bradford... but that Tikka Rabbit starter... mmmm

Been a good 5 years since I've been the Manc one though. Rusholme was always the place for cheap, decent curry. And if you want a proper Chicken & Kebab Pizza then I'll hook you up in a place in Moss Side. #myarteries

Soldato
Too many good curry places in Manchester. My favourite is Lily’s but it’s outside the city centre. In town, This n That, Yadgar’s and Marhaba do amazing curries and you get a plate for ~£5. At the slightly pricier end, Bundobust and Dishoom are good. Mughli is my favourite place on the curry mile. Pound for pound, Lily’s beats them all though.

Soldato
As mentioned there are a lot of areas and most will depend on your budget really and where abouts you're working (presume the centre?)

I'd be inclined to avoid the east Manchester and focus more on South (The various Heatons, Didsbury, Chorlton, Sale etc) if the budget allows and you don't want to be in the centre.

Otherwise Salford Quays could be nice if but you're only really looking at a flat around there.
Agreed, I would either love city centre or somewhere like chorlton or didsbury.

Soldato
When I lived there, this was always the one: Akbars

Theres one here in Brum as well and the original is from Bradford... but that Tikka Rabbit starter... mmmm

Been a good 5 years since I've been the Manc one though. Rusholme was always the place for cheap, decent curry. And if you want a proper Chicken & Kebab Pizza then I'll hook you up in a place in Moss Side. #myarteries

Akbars is ****!

Went earlier in the year as part of a big group, and it was so over-rated, over-priced, and lacking in quality.

Someone in our group who wasn't a massive curry lover had ordered a Korma, and it looked like a bowl of sick.

Needless to say there's thousands of curry restaurants across Manchester, even without the Curry Mile!

Soldato
Agreed, I would either love city centre or somewhere like chorlton or didsbury.

Didsburys insanely expensive though! We're just renting a flat just off Spath Road, i like to walk down there when heading to the shops, most of the houses along there are 1+mil upto i think i saw the most expensive was about 3mil.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Akbars is ****!

Went earlier in the year as part of a big group, and it was so over-rated, over-priced, and lacking in quality.

Someone in our group who wasn't a massive curry lover had ordered a Korma, and it looked like a bowl of sick.

Needless to say there's thousands of curry restaurants across Manchester, even without the Curry Mile!
It might have gone downhill but you don't go to places like Akbars and order a korma :confused:

Soldato
Didsburys insanely expensive though! We're just renting a flat just off Spath Road, i like to walk down there when heading to the shops, most of the houses along there are 1+mil upto i think i saw the most expensive was about 3mil.

Yeah, my friends bought a house there and when they were looking prices just kept going up by around £5k-£10k every month so in the end they decided to just take the plunge before they were completely priced out. Think they paid around £350k and it's now worth around £450k around 6yrs later.

It might have gone downhill but you don't go to places like Akbars and order a korma :confused:

But you should be able to, surely the definition of somewhere good is to be able to do all dishes well, not have to decide your meal based on whether that particular restaurant can cook that dish well or not.

Soldato

Well the rest of the group had a mixture of curries and no-one had commented about it being particularly amazing, especially considering the price they charge.

As i say, it's become over-rated now as it became popular so i feel the standards have dropped significantly.

If anyone were to ask me if i'd recommend it, i would advise them to look elsewhere - curry restaurants is one thing Manchester is not short on.

Back
Top Bottom