Reusing old Sky box for Freesat

Soldato
Hi all

Got an old Sky + HD box that had a dodgy hard drive which only had issues with recording, so thinking about re-purposing it for just Freesat. What do I need to do to get it to work? Do I need to contact Sky to get a Freesat viewing card for it?

Cheers

Soldato
Do you still have the original viewing card? You should just be able to plug it in and go, and you will get the free channels

Soldato
Yeah, if it still has an old viewing card in it then that will do, otherwise they have to sell you one for £25.

Annoyingly I didn't realise that going from Sky HD to Sky Q retained the old viewing card as I was going to use the old box for freesat, but now don't have a card for it :(

Caporegime
Yeah, if it still has an old viewing card in it then that will do, otherwise they have to sell you one for £25.

Annoyingly I didn't realise that going from Sky HD to Sky Q retained the old viewing card as I was going to use the old box for freesat, but now don't have a card for it :(
Sky can sell you one. £25 I believe. If you already have had Sky Q fitted you may not have the required Hybrid LNB as Sky won' f one by default.

Soldato
How can you tell if they fitted a hybrid?

When I sent my Sky Q back yesterday, I just took the F-Cable (or whatever it is) out the back of the Q box, and plugged it into the freesat port on my TV, and it works fine.

I certainly didn't make any requests when the engineer came out and upgraded my dish to a new one when he fitted the Q in place.

Soldato
OP
No don't have the original card as that is in my new box. I read somewhere that it should work without a viewing card for Free to air channels but not Free to view which need card for. It seems most channels are Free to air.

Anyone confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom