Revell 1/48 Mosquito B MKIV

Soldato
Not sure if people are interested in a model build thread but I'll put this one up as its going to be for my Dad who is 80 in June.

The De Havilland DH.98 Mosquito is a British twin-engine shoulder-winged multi-role combat aircraft, introduced during the Second World War, unusual in that its frame is constructed mostly of wood. It was nicknamed The Wooden Wonder, or "Mossie". Lord Beaverbrook, Minister of Aircraft Production, nicknamed it "Freeman's Folly", alluding to Air Chief Marshal Sir Wilfred Freeman, who defended Geoffrey de Havilland and his design concept against orders to scrap the project. In 1941 it was one of the fastest operational aircraft in the world.

Originally conceived as an unarmed fast bomber, the Mosquito's use evolved during the war into many roles, including low to medium-altitude daytime tactical bomber, high-altitude night bomber, pathfinder, day or night fighter, fighter-bomber, intruder, maritime strike aircraft. It was also used by the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) as a fast transport to carry small, high-value cargoes to and from neutral countries through enemy-controlled airspace. The crew of two, pilot and navigator, sat side by side. A single passenger could ride in the aircraft's bomb bay when necessary.

The Mosquito FBVI was often flown in special raids, such as Operation Jericho – an attack on Amiens Prison in early 1944, and precision attacks against military intelligence, security and police facilities (such as Gestapo headquarters). On the 10th anniversary of the Nazis' seizure of power in 1943, a morning Mosquito attack knocked out the main Berlin broadcasting station while Hermann Göring was speaking, putting his speech off the air.

The Mosquito flew with the Royal Air Force (RAF) and other air forces in the European, Mediterranean and Italian theatres. The Mosquito was also operated by the RAF in the South East Asian theatre and by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) based in the Halmaheras and Borneo during the Pacific War. During the 1950s, the RAF replaced the Mosquito with the jet-powered English Electric Canberra.

t2OS5bD.jpg

TZNDlo8.jpg

mU8ASdO.jpg

ijEpOHL.jpg

QZUuOGX.jpg

VrWT1Yp.jpg

eHVUkgq.jpg

hdNVmH0.jpg

ppkMhAU.jpg

QoiNjNB.jpg

LMDZNq0.jpg

jPxLy4w.jpg

So made a start on the cockpit with the Eduard PE being fitted as per the instruction. Test fitting of the fuselage halves show the radios needed to be moved to allow the 2 halves and the canopy to fit properly.

Coloured PE was left off and the interior areas of the cockpit, bomb bay and U/C bays were primed with badgers white primer then painted with MRP-111, Interior-Grey Green.

The remaining PE was fitted and final assembly carried out with minimal test fitting and no real filler required.

552EcE0.jpg

pYpjr70.jpg

2qQSQbw.jpg

IfxD4RG.jpg

svQlyun.jpg

Rvvp4Q7.jpg

Soldato
OP
UPDATE TWO

So, moving on, we have the upper surface lightened and mottled with some thinned XF-2 flat white.

31XN74H.jpg

Then the first camo colour, MRP's 115, Ocean grey. This was then masked off with white tack worms and masking tape.

M54L9eM.jpg

Then the second colour was MRP's 110, Dark Green.

6iAztqq.jpg

Soldato
OP
UPDATE THREE

The upper camo surfaces were masked off. References were helpful in determining the demarcation lines.

gzHQBWo.jpg

Then the undersides, bomb bay doors, undercarriage doors etc were painted with 2 coats of thinned XF-85, rubber Black and the a thinned XF-17, Sea Blue was used in panel centres. This all gave a good tonal variation to the night black that looks a little worn.

EqmYt9b.jpg

OSF8xrk.jpg

I also have a split in the top seam near the tail, probably caused by handling despite it being glued with extra thin and then CA glue. So that will need fixing and re-painting.

Soldato
OP
UPDATE FOUR

I started off with gently squeezing the rear fuselage to expose the crack more easily. Then I used a panel line scriber to then dig a trench over the crack. This crack was then filled with tamiya extra thin plastic glue and left to harden.

BerpJKJ.jpg

Then the remaining trench was filled with some medium viscosity CA glue. This then had baking soda applied to harden the CA glue.

O5Rtami.jpg

The bead of CA glue was then sanded back and the area cleaned ready for re-painting.

AOSzwyD.jpg

Soldato
love it - I wish I had the patience to complete as intricate a build as this. currently struggling to finish a King Tiger (which is rated as easy - yet I've still managed to break the tracks and glue my t-shirt to the desk!!)

Soldato
OP
UPDATE FIVE

The split seam has been repaired and re-painted.

LjDS7p0.jpg

Next was to mask off and paint the exhaust stacks in XF-84, Dark iron. Then some light rust pigments were rubbed over to weather accordingly.

Ultimately, this was to no avail as once the exhaust covers were on, the exhausts stacks could not be seen.

AyJBVlu.jpg

Then paint work was rubbed down with a polishing sponge,. cleaned and the decals applied. There are a few small spots of silvering to fix but next with a coat of sating varnish to seal the decals in.

ioJlWAB.jpg

rtghDTH.jpg

4Lh13HA.jpg

6pvX0vR.jpg

tgrks9Z.jpg

Soldato
OP
UPDATE SIX

With the paint work and decals complete, another coat of satin varnish seals everything up.

Then it was a wash of Flory Models dark dirt wash on the camo on the upper surfaces and then a mix of dark dirt and gray on the underside night black surfaces.

dqgh2MN.jpg

9PjBoKS.jpg

Soldato
OP
UPDATE SEVEN

After cleaning up the wash, I started to get the undercarriage and doors fitted and bomb bay doors fitted.

Then the aerials were added and some ez-line used for the aerial wire.

Nearly finished.

xuMtQTI.jpg

7C1Xc97.jpg

Soldato
Great save on the seam line, looks like it never happened.

I really must get around to trying MRP as they appear to leave a fantastic finish. I've not been impressed by Vallejo Model Air, I'm really liking Mr Color, but I've seen and heard so many good things about MRP that I'd be daft not to give them a go.

Back
Top Bottom