Revenue @ Customs

Associate
The other day I got a letter saying

You have bin sent a parcel from overseas, delivery of this parcel to you is subject to payment of Customs charges raised by UK Border Agency on behalf of HM Revenue @ Customs

I've misplaced the letter so now don't know how to pay it or who to phone. Dose anyone know if I can still pay it with no letter and who do I phone about it?

Thanks

Soldato
You expecting something from abroad? Careful its not a scam.

It should be handled by a relevant UK courier automatically.

Soldato
Check your dispatch note from whoever you ordered from, or contact the retailer, and find out who they used to ship it and any tracking references.

If it is a named courier, e.g. DHL, Fedex, etc, then you should have a tracking reference which should allow you to (a) look online to see its status and (b) contact the couriers customer service for assistance in being able to pay any duty/vat/charges owed.

If it was sent out USPS/EMS or equivalent then the chances are you need to pay Royal Mail or Parcel Force. If so contact your local delivery office covering your post code for each one and ask if they have a package there for you being held for payment. They should be able then to tell you how to pay.

For a normal personal import you will not be dealing with Revenue and Customs directly and the chances are that anything indicating you should is a scam.

Last edited:
Soldato
The other day I got a letter saying

I've misplaced the letter so now don't know how to pay it or who to phone. Dose anyone know if I can still pay it with no letter and who do I phone about it?

Thanks

Sounds like it would be via Parcel Force from the wording of the letter, you need to call them but will at least need a tracking number, ask the seller for this.

Associate
A while ago I got a parcel from some relatives abroad.
Like you I got a letter about tax, I cant remember if it was HM Revenue & Customs or just DHL, telling me that I might have some import tax to pay.
The letter didnt give any information on how much tax or even how or who I should pay it to.
After a quick phone call I found out that the courier would ask for the money and they are the ones I needed to pay.

So my suggestion to you would be, ignore the letter, if you do have some tax to pay the courier will ask for it.

Soldato
A while ago I got a parcel from some relatives abroad.
Like you I got a letter about tax, I cant remember if it was HM Revenue & Customs or just DHL, telling me that I might have some import tax to pay.
The letter didnt give any information on how much tax or even how or who I should pay it to.
After a quick phone call I found out that the courier would ask for the money and they are the ones I needed to pay.

So my suggestion to you would be, ignore the letter, if you do have some tax to pay the courier will ask for it.

But if coming via Parcel Force, they won't actually get the goods out onto a van for delivery until you've called them to pay the import duty/tax and clearance charges due.

DHL would normally deliver, and an invoice follows in the post shortly after that detailing the charges.

Associate
But if coming via Parcel Force, they won't actually get the goods out onto a van for delivery until you've called them to pay the import duty/tax and clearance charges due.

DHL would normally deliver, and an invoice follows in the post shortly after that detailing the charges.

If the OP's letter was from a courier then yes, he will need to do something about it. In which case it should tell him in the letter what he needed to do and have a tracking number and the amount.

If it was just a generic letter informing him that something is coming, then I would say wait until they contact him with an invoice or tracking number.

OP do you remember who the letter was from?

Soldato
If the OP's letter was from a courier then yes, he will need to do something about it. In which case it should tell him in the letter what he needed to do and have a tracking number and the amount.

If it was just a generic letter informing him that something is coming, then I would say wait until they contact him with an invoice or tracking number.

OP do you remember who the letter was from?

Strange, I've never received a letter saying I MAY have to pay charges, only ever when there's actually been charges applied :confused:

Soldato
I got a letter from parcelforce saying they couldn't deliver until I have paid them the duty.

I'd say its a scam.

Or you havn't read the letter properly

Soldato
Strange, I've never received a letter saying I MAY have to pay charges, only ever when there's actually been charges applied :confused:

Same ... I have had many packages from overseas and have never had anything other than invoices from the delivery company in question.

OK if you are going to be like that, it was saying there would be charges, but it didn't say how much or who to pay.

No need for the attitude :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
I contacted the company that sent the messages because I was not going to pay it as the item I am getting should be free.

So this is reply I got.

I had our cust service look into it. They made a call to USPS and there’s nothing we can do to prevent this customs charge you will need to pay this and then we can either cut you a check for that amt and mail it to you or put credit on your acct at Horizon US. Its $26.30 USD.
According to our cust service team the USPS still has the ESC and motor on hold its not been returned to Horizon US yet.
Let me know what you would like to do.

D83

D83

Associate
I ordered some trainers from the states once and got a letter a month later saying I needed to pay ~£30 in customs tax. Never paid, and I never heard back from them.

Ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom