[review] Hyundai N91W Widescreen

Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
If you have Oblivion, could you please try and run it at 1024x640 and 1280x800 and see what the image quality is like, as you said does it look blurred.

Thanks. :D

OK... If I run FRAPS can I get a screen shot?

TBH though, I'm a lottle confused on the matter. If I tell Oblivion to run at 1280x800, then isn't it my graphics card (which has been told to scale everything up) that resizes the image to 1440x900?

When I first ran FEAR at a low resolution it actually just generated a tiny window on the screen with black bordering all around it. I had to go to my ATI settings and tell it to scale up the image to full screen (1440x900).

Last edited:
Associate
Mlingard said:
Really interested in getting this monitor to share with my pc and xbox 360 when i can afford to get it :)

Friction_Eso do you have any screens running 360 games ???

I don't have any, but I will get you some.

Leave it with me.

All will probably be in 1280x720 if that's ok :)

Associate
NeilFawcett said:
OK... If I run FRAPS can I get a screen shot?

TBH though, I'm a lottle confused on the matter. If I tell Oblivion to run at 1280x800, then isn't it my graphics card (which has been told to scale everything up) that resizes the image to 1440x900?

When I first ran FEAR at a low resolution it actually just generated a tiny window on the screen. I had to go to my ATI settings and tell it to scale up the image to full screen (1440x900).

Taking a screenshot is no good, as I'll only see exactly what your video card puts out, not what you see on the screen. I need your opinion on the quality of the image at 1280x800 instead of the monitors native resolution which is 1440x900. What you said about FEAR is also good, as it shows the monitor supports some form of 1:1 Pixel mapping (probably software).

Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
Taking a screenshot is no good, as I'll only see exactly what your video card puts out, not what you see on the screen. I need your opinion on the quality of the image at 1280x800 instead of the monitors native resolution which is 1440x900. What you said about FEAR is also good, as it shows the monitor supports some form of 1:1 Pixel mapping (probably software).

Hmmm... But isn't my gfx card always (currently) output everything at 1440x900, cos I've told it scale the image to that?

ie: When I ran FEAR say for example at 820x450, it did not fill the entire screen. I had to set the option in the ATI control panel to tell it to do that.

As such I'm a little confused as to what the TFT is "scaling" - Surely it's always being given a 1440x900 image by the gfx card so is doing nothing?

Sorry if this is ultra noob!

Associate
NeilFawcett said:
Hmmm... But isn't my gfx card always (currently) output everything at 1440x900, cos I've told it scale the image to that?

ie: When I ran FEAR say for example at 820x450, it did not fill the entire screen. I had to set the option in the ATI control panel to tell it to do that.

As such I'm a little confused as to what the TFT is "scaling" - Surely it's always being given a 1440x900 image by the gfx card so is doing nothing?

Sorry if this is ultra noob!

It can get very confusing. As far as I'm aware (Baddass where are you when we need you) if you run at 1280x800, and your video card is set to scale to full screen it will still only be processing 1280x800 pixels even though it is filling the screen.

Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
It can get very confusing. As far as I'm aware (Baddass where are you when we need you) if you run at 1280x800, and your video card is set to scale to full screen it will still only be processing 1280x800 pixels even though it is filling the screen.

Hmmm... That doesn't make sense in my head :) Sounds like the gfx card is scaling it up, not the TFT...

I'll try and give it a go tonight... :)

Associate
NeilFawcett said:
Hmmm... That doesn't make sense in my head :) Sounds like the gfx card is scaling it up, not the TFT...

I'll try and give it a go tonight... :)

I think your right, the graphics card is scaling the image up, but it's still only processing the amount of pixels you've specified i.e. 820x450 you selected in FEAR.

Last edited:
Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
I think your right, the graphics card is scaling the image up, but it's still only processing the amount of pixels you've specified i.e. 820x450 you selected in FEAR.

So, then what you're asking me to do is to judge the scaling quality of my gfx card?

I know what you're after, but not sure if it's a valid request... ie: Is it actually testing the monitor?

Shall I just try the tests you asked for and give my impression?

Associate
NeilFawcett said:
So, then what you're asking me to do is to judge the scaling quality of my gfx card?

I know what you're after, but not sure if it's a valid request... ie: Is it actually testing the monitor?

Shall I just try the tests you asked for and give my impression?

That's a good point, I didn't think about the effect the card may have on the scaling. What sort of card are you using by the way. Just thought, are there any scaling options in the menu on the monitor, as it sounds like supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

Last edited:
Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
That's a good point, I didn't think about the effect the card may have on the scaling. What sort of card are you using by the way.

Look in sig...

I can't run modern games at 1440x900, so I have to run at lower res.

Associate
Right as requested a few shots of this monitor with my 360 running on it.

Bare in mind, whilst I do have a good camera I'm certainly not a photographer, so please excuse the badish pics - though I hope you get a good idea of how lovely things look! :D

Dead Rising

Lost Planet

Just Cause

Soldato
Thanks a lot for them Friction_Eso :) i guess you dont really get to see how good they are if your not looking at the screen in person but them screens look good , i think i will get this one as soon as i have the funds .

Associate
As I said I'm not that great with a camera, but you will get the idea!

You do really need to see the screen for yourself too, looks miles better than the pics (even though they don't look so bad to be honest!).

If you do get one you really won't regret it :)

Associate
That's very similar to my brother, he got a 19' 4:3 Hyundai some years back and it cost about £450.

A friend got the model down from my brothers about a year back and it was best part of £250.

I payed less than that for this lovely bit of kit - including postage and getting a DVI cable! :D

Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
If you have Oblivion, could you please try and run it at 1024x640 and 1280x800 and see what the image quality is like, as you said does it look blurred.

Thanks. :D

Oblivion:-
848x480 *
1024x768
1280x720 *
1280x768 *
(*) - denotes widescreen mode in specified in Oblivion

Right all these filled the screen fine... No black borders etc.

Only the one worth commenting on for being blurred is the lowest res. But still perfectly playable.

I'm playing at 1024x768 and although the text isn't as sharp as 1440x900, its absolutely fine. Above that resolution it just keeps improving :)

note: This is my first TFT at home so obviously this opinion is based on no reference point as such.

Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
Nice pics mrk, the more I see of this monitor the more I want one.

Thanks for trying Oblivion Neil, I think my CRT is about to go on ebay.

Just sold my old 17" one for a bar of fruit and nutt at work :)

Back
Top Bottom