[review] Hyundai N91W Widescreen

Associate
It's here!! and i must say i aint used to these size monitors!! used to my old 15" lol

the quality is good!! and i'm really happy that i've bought one :D

i forgot to buy a DVI lead so i'm using VGA atm

Associate
Updated my drivers but still nothing.

Come to think of it I remember my brother has the same GFX card as myself, and his run his via DVI through his LCD TV (A Toshiba) and he had the exact same issue - no bios or boot screen until windows kicked it. Certainly indicates it's an ATI issue.

I could test it via VGA but crawling under my desk to change all the cables and that is more hassle than it's worth to be honest.

I can't see it as being a fault with the monitor itself so I'll just have to live with it :D

Soldato
Friction_Eso the drivers won't affect anything at all before windows loads which is why i said that it's a hardware problem (not necessarily a hardware fault) which is causing it. It seems to only happen with certain combinations of cards/montiors.

You could plug it in via both VGA and DVI. The BIOS will duplicate the BIOS screens on both outputs. This would mean that when you changed the source from DVI to VGA when in the BIOS you should be able to see the BIOS screens. Once into windows you could switch back to DVI using the source button. But windows might end up thinking that two monitors are plugged in so you would have to disable the one which it detects as being plugged in via VGA.

Hope that makes sense :S

Associate
Heh yeah makes perfect sense mate, I though about it, but I just really can't be bothered to crawl under my desk and mess around with cables, just to look at a bios screen that I never did anything with anyway!

I think I'm just being bit silly and probably overly paranoid for no reason. Everything I have done on this monitor has worked perfectly and looked great - so no reason to panic just because I can't see the bios.

As I mentioned before ATI mention this as a common issue, and I know the same thing happened when my brother tried to get his machine (with the same card as myself) on his LCD TV.

I just need to relax and learn to enjoy my lovely new monitor! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Enjoy your monitors guys! I just posted a link to here on an irc room and looks like about 2 more people are about to jump onboard the Hyundai!

Associate
Been mulling over getting a tft for ages now, and it looks like this one could have swung me. Always a little wary over ghosting issues etc, and there's not exactly anything wrong with my current crt. But that Hyundai does look stonking and its a cracking price too. Means i can use it for my 360 as well. :D

Suppose i'd best come into the 21st century and buy one. Damn you people, making me spend money again. :mad: ;)

Soldato
Proc said:
Been mulling over getting a tft for ages now, and it looks like this one could have swung me. Always a little wary over ghosting issues etc, and there's not exactly anything wrong with my current crt. But that Hyundai does look stonking and its a cracking price too. Means i can use it for my 360 as well. :D

Suppose i'd best come into the 21st century and buy one. Damn you people, making me spend money again. :mad: ;)

Only flaw I have is that the bright blue "on light" can actually "bleed" into a dark black background VERY VERY slightly (above it)...

Soldato
KlaSh said:
It's here!! and i must say i aint used to these size monitors!! used to my old 15" lol

the quality is good!! and i'm really happy that i've bought one :D

i forgot to buy a DVI lead so i'm using VGA atm

IMHO, don't bother... I cannot see any difference!

Soldato
Raze said:
Cant say that ive noticied it on mine either, and im currenly playing doom3 at the minute and its quite a dark game...

:confused:

I particularly notice it when booting up and the screen goes blank/black at times...

Soldato
mrk said:
cannot see it there either! as reference see my bbacklight photos as its not there either!

Maybe it's just mine then... I'll keep an eye on it... Doesn't bother me cos it's very minor...

Pretty stupid design flaw though :eek:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Finally had the chance to run the Samsung and this side by side, must say the Samsung is as capable as the Hyundai for image quality, I have to say the default image and colour levels of the Samsung are easier on the eyes and there are more OSD options on the Samsung which is ace. I am liking the Samsung more and more after this test :D

The Samsung also resolved a more warmer colour tone by default, it also displays text more darker and easier to read I am finding running both side by side.

Comparison pics:

Last edited:
Soldato
Mlingard said:
Are you trying to change my mind mrk :p , by them shots the samsung's color does look more vivid .

I bet the samsung is a fair bit more money ???
It's £170 but has a slightly worse contrast ratio of 500:1 and has one less analogue input but has a better response time of 4ms.

Those photos do indeed show the Samsung as producing a nicer picture. But couldn't you change that with a bit of tweaking the contrast/brightness of the Hyundai?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
yup that is the default setting for the monitor, more vivid colours but it's contrast is set higher by default so highlights are blown out, I have contrast down on the hyundai to keep highlight detail and optimise it via the nvidia display optimisation wizard later :)

Back
Top Bottom