Revisit thread time - Older and game less

Soldato
Now in my 40's, I've lost the will to game on my PC now. A mixture of responsibilities with business.work and family means I've no urge to game anymore.

I'd LOVE to get stuck into a game nowadays but I haven't the motivation to even buy a game never mind play it. Nothing appealing to me at all.

Anyone else feeling the same? You've got that bit older and now you don't game as much?

Soldato
43 here with 2 young kids (almost 4 and almost 1) a wife and a full time job and I still love my gaming. Granted I can’t do all nighters anymore but I still make sure to have an hour or 2 a night and at least one longer session usually on a Saturday night.
Can’t imagine me ever losing the urge to game.

Soldato
43 here with 2 young kids (almost 4 and almost 1) a wife and a full time job and I still love my gaming. Granted I can’t do all nighters anymore but I still make sure to have an hour or 2 a night and at least one longer session usually on a Saturday night.
Can’t imagine me ever losing the urge to game.

and you never will if you game for an hour or two every night. go to the pub:p

Soldato
These threads come up a lot, but is it really that unusual to go off a hobby that you've had for years, decades in some cases?

I still game, but mainly because I get 6 months off per year and the wife works & kids go to school so plenty of little afternoon sessions and late nights as the family are usually in bed by 21:30/22:00. Having said that, lately I've found myself going for a run during the day and taking on more little decor projects in the house. At night, I can quite easily fire some TV on instead of gaming. In the past I could immerse myself at the PC for hours but now it's maybe a 2 hour session at the most. If I had to work a regular 9-5 Mon-Fri then I doubt that I would even have a gaming rig now that I'm in my 40's.

It's a combination of hobby fatigue, getting older, hardware getting far too expensive & game developers stagnant in terms of innovation.

Soldato
Personally I don't game and have never done so (because every game I try I am monumentally bad at) but my best mate, who is 50 this year, and his wife (of a similar age) are both very avid gamers and will happily spend entire weekends, often to the wee hours, playing various online games and in fact both bought gaming laptops late last year so that they can continue to game when they go away in the UK.

So just because you get older doesn't mean you have to lose your love of gaming ...

Soldato
In my mid 40s now, married, 2 kids and I could probably count the number of hours I have spent gaming in 2019 on two hands. Just too much else going on. And, as someone else alluded to, I now find myself getting more satisfaction from DIY projects. I used to love WW2 shooters but, when all is asid and done, the don't really benefit me beyond the intangible 'fun'. Whereas, re-doing the kitchen manifestly helped the family and gives me satisfaction every time I walk in there.
That must be the reason I have agreed to put up a new shed and remove my old one to replace it with a Pilates studio for the wife to teach in.

Soldato
I still like gaming but not had a capable PC for ages. Missing being able to get cheap Steam games, or even just trying out demos.

I can’t sit for ages playing intense games anymore tho. I was enjoying just messing about in RDR2 ..spent a few hours at a time with that.

Back
Top Bottom