Ricky Gervais as 'Derek'

Soldato
Phiew! I hope they do make more as it looked like it could turn into a good series.
I was looking forward to watching the next one tonight :(. There's absolutely nothing else on either.

Soldato
Carry on believing the myth.
The guy is a great comedian, end of.
Yes he has weird ideas about life but he knows exactly how to get a laugh out of it.
I'm also 100% convinced he doesn't like the places he went to because I know people like that, to quote my daughter standing in front of the Pyramids "Bricks, what's the point?".
You should have caught on after the first series when they had the talk:
"Karl, we know you hated going on those trips but we've made bags of money. We're going to pretend that you're so thick & clueless that we're going to trick you into a second series but most students and some adults will fall for it and don't forget to keep mentioning it in the series".
And then comedy history is made ..................

Of course he knew what he was getting himself into. No-one doubts that. Its his reaction to the things he's faced with, which brings in the comedy.

That's him, like it or not. I actually have a good friend who's EXACTLY the same. Everyone around him constantly in laughs about some of the things he comes out with. Some very dumb and some very intelligent comments both at the same time. New people are OMG is this guy for real? He just goes about his business, almost oblivous to it.

Man of Honour
Of course he knew what he was getting himself into. No-one doubts that. Its his reaction to the things he's faced with, which brings in the comedy.

That's him, like it or not. I actually have a good friend who's EXACTLY the same. Everyone around him constantly in laughs about some of the things he comes out with. Some very dumb and some very intelligent comments both at the same time. New people are OMG is this guy for real? He just goes about his business, almost oblivous to it.

I reckon if you go and read everything I have said you will actually be agreeing with me.
There are people who actually believe that Karl is totally thick and believes his Monkey news stories.
There are people who actually believe he was tricked like a 4 year old into doing a new series.
There are people who believe that everything we see with Karl is how it exactly happened.
I worked with a factory full of Karl's, my youngest daughter has the same outlook on life as Karl and my rhythm guitarist is actually nicknamed Pilkington but he hasn't got a clue what we're on about.
If you agree that he sat round a table and agreed to a next series without being 'tricked' then you must also agree that he was 'produced'.
For instance, he could say something in passing and then the Producer turns round and says 'Let's get that on film'.
I am 1000% convinced that during the XFM recordings he may have said something stupid in a pub and then Merchant/Gervais work it into the show.
Both series of Idiot Abroad were full of XFM references.
I think we actually agree on Karl.

Soldato
I reckon if you go and read everything I have said you will actually be agreeing with me.
There are people who actually believe that Karl is totally thick and believes his Monkey news stories.
There are people who actually believe he was tricked like a 4 year old into doing a new series.
There are people who believe that everything we see with Karl is how it exactly happened.
I worked with a factory full of Karl's, my youngest daughter has the same outlook on life as Karl and my rhythm guitarist is actually nicknamed Pilkington but he hasn't got a clue what we're on about.
If you agree that he sat round a table and agreed to a next series without being 'tricked' then you must also agree that he was 'produced'.
For instance, he could say something in passing and then the Producer turns round and says 'Let's get that on film'.
I am 1000% convinced that during the XFM recordings he may have said something stupid in a pub and then Merchant/Gervais work it into the show.
Both series of Idiot Abroad were full of XFM references.
I think we actually agree on Karl.

I think you're being too analytical of the fella. Of course he's going to do a 2nd series. It's beaucoup money for him. Who wouldn't. That pretty normal that his comments are possibly repeats. It's the same fella after all. No doubt he enjoys being the fool everyone laughs at. Of course he's playing it up a little and of course if he's said things in the past that have cracked people up, then he'll repeat, most likely without his own knowing.

Also lets not forget the Idiot Abroad shows are probably 3 months of non-stop footage, being compressed into what 6hrs? I see nothing of concern here. It is entirely possible that one or two acts were fabricated. But for the most part, it's just Karl Pilkington being Karl Pilkington & doing what he does best, coming out with fantastic, yet very dumb reasonings for many things.

Man of Honour
I think you're being too analytical of the fella. Of course he's going to do a 2nd series. It's beaucoup money for him. Who wouldn't. That pretty normal that his comments are possibly repeats. It's the same fella after all. No doubt he enjoys being the fool everyone laughs at. Of course he's playing it up a little and of course if he's said things in the past that have cracked people up, then he'll repeat, most likely without his own knowing.

Also lets not forget the Idiot Abroad shows are probably 3 months of non-stop footage, being compressed into what 6hrs? I see nothing of concern here. It is entirely possible that one or two acts were fabricated. But for the most part, it's just Karl Pilkington being Karl Pilkington & doing what he does best, coming out with fantastic, yet very dumb reasonings for many things.

Well you're reading me wrong then because I'm 100% with you.

There are however people on here who think that what you see and hear is exactly what you get.

Well you're reading me wrong then because I'm 100% with you.

There are however people on here who think that what you see and hear is exactly what you get.

Loads of characters on TV are like that. Remember when Jamie Oliver first turned up.... every 3rd word was "pukka, sorted, or geezer". He doesn't talk like that now he's famous. Maybe the occasional phrase, but it's obvious at the beginning the producers told him to exaggerate it a load.

Soldato
When will we know if the series gets picked up by Chanel 4? I guess just keep an eye on Ricky's blog?

Really hope it does go ahead as I can see it being a great show.

Man of Honour
Why does every Ricky Gervais thread turn into Dimple starting an argument over whether or not Karl is a real character?

Because I think he is one of the most amazing comedians ever and I feel sorry for people who actually believe that he believes his Monkey News stories.
The guy is a legend who has been mentored very well by Merchant & Gervais.
Yeah, he's a bit thick but certainly knows how to play on it.
More Karl.

Soldato
Why does every Ricky Gervais thread turn into Dimple starting an argument over whether or not Karl is a real character?

I think its because he likes to let everyone know that he has "cracked" the Karl Pilkington code. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom