Ridley Scott’s The Martian

Caporegime
The trailer makes it look like Castaway on Mars. Is that about right?

I expect that is less an half the movie, after all, there is a whole other crew/cast that need screen time, so I expect, from the look of the trailer, there is a struggle on their end to debate whether to go get him, and also their mission to save him.

I expect a 50/50 divide in screen time.

Man of Honour
I hope it's in a slightly mad talk to yourself. As you would anyway. People generally talking to themselfs after a few hours, let alone months/years of being totally alone.

And then as said that can be combined with video logs, which iirc he does in the book anyway

Soldato
I expect that is less an half the movie, after all, there is a whole other crew/cast that need screen time, so I expect, from the look of the trailer, there is a struggle on their end to debate whether to go get him, and also their mission to save him.

I expect a 50/50 divide in screen time.

That would be woeful. There's just not a lot going on in the spaceship. In the book, I'd be surprised if they are even 15 percent of the story. I think there's more going on back at Earth than in the spaceship.

Soldato
Right.... So let me get this right.

1. Does this have anything to do with Interstellar? You know that movie staring Matt Damon. As the man who was stranded on a planet.

Caporegime
That would be woeful. There's just not a lot going on in the spaceship. In the book, I'd be surprised if they are even 15 percent of the story. I think there's more going on back at Earth than in the spaceship.

Artistic licence...

I can't imagine actors like Jessica Chasten, Michael Pena, Kate Mara, Chiwetel Ejiofor signed up to share 15% of the screen time. That's barely a cameo.

p.s. I did say 50/50 between Matt Damon and the rest (the rest includes people on Earth)

Soldato
Who else will be watching for the pirate ninjas? And the commander's disco music?

I don't think Ridley Scott has it in him to be that humorous. Can you imagine? A great majestic martian vista, a planet wide desolation, we zoom into the lone all-terrain crawler, and as the camera gets closer to its single occupant, all we can hear is Earth, Wind & Fire's "Boogie Wonderland". Watney is concentrating on driving over the treacherous landscape, but he doesn't realise his lips are moving to the words of the song...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there's a difference between the humour of Watney's character (in a serious setting) and Scott making the film humorous in the way it's constructed. I think we'll see Watney lamenting his commander's taste in music, but I don't think we'll see that music integrated into the film itself (like for instance in "Guardians of the Galaxy").

Associate
Read this book in two sittings the other day, and really enjoyed it. At first I struggled with the style of the writing, at times it was like reading a damn tumblr blog. However I've also just finished reading Cancer Ward (Solzhenitsyn) and some of Dostoyevksy's earlier stuff so there's a bit of a glaring clash going from that to The Martian.

Will definitely be going to see the film.

Back
Top Bottom