Ridley Scott’s The Martian

Man of Honour
Can't wait, not long advert was on TV last night, 30 of September over here.
this is certainly a cinema one.
Might even try the directors lounge for it. Been waiting for a film I'm desprate to see to try the directors lounge.

Caporegime
I'm just under halfway through the book and it's very good. Its got a strange tone to it, and it does come across as rough and unedited, and it's definitely a book for the Internet age... But yeah, it's very engaging and interesting.

Man of Honour
Do you know how it was written?
It was written in sections and released on the internet for free and his first book iirc.

Good interview with Adam savage earlier in the thread where he talks about it.

Soldato
Really enjoyed this.
They managed to get the peril about right, although I expected more things to "go wrong".
Did like the "Damon only" sequences and the film did give a good impression of desolation. As the character says "I'm the first man to stand here, I'm the first man to stand there...." and the film gets this across.
Good cast and humour....possibly a little too much now and again, but they cut through the more serious sequences.
Had me engrossed throughout and really wanted things to turn out alright for the stranded Martian.

Really enjoyed it and worth a watch.

Soldato
I enjoyed it. Enjoyed it, but didn't love it. Some really funny lines from Damon, but lacked the kind of epic feeling that something like Interstellar had. I suppose I was expecting a really gritty struggle, but it seemed like the character was barely phased by it all. Nothing wrong with that, but just not what I was hoping for. I suppose I should have read the book!

Phones were confiscated and G4S security were in the cinema for the preview. First time I've experienced that!

Last edited:
Associate
I thought it was probably the best film I've seen in a long time. Loved every minute of it.

We didn't get phones confiscated, just had to switch them off in front of security before entering the theatre and they had people inside, and it was an instant removal if they saw a screen light up.

Associate
Its the first film I've seen in 3D. I thought it was much better than I was expecting. I expected things to be fuzzy and not quite in focus, but everything seemed crystal clear. No cheesy 3D effects for the sake if it either. The glasses where quite comfortable wearing with my existing glasses which was a bonus to.

Soldato
Is the 3D any good?

Yea it was, and I'm no fan of 3D

It was all depth of field rather than effects poking out of the screen, and it didn't seem to suffer from the fore-mid-background partition effect.

Oh and we thought it was brilliant, best film I've seen in the cinema for ages.

Soldato
When Hollywood takes a good book, they love to fiddle with it, and usually that means the only direction they have to go is down. This time, they've resisted the temptation to mess about too much, and have still got a great movie. They've glossed over a lot of the science bits, and skipped a lot of details (such as
Watney's trip to the Aries 4 site, or him accidentally trashing the pathfinder transmitter and losing his link to Earth)
, but generally it still hangs together well.

There's a cast of big actors, and they all do a terrific job. Matt Damon is great, and the film hangs on his performance. There's humour and disco music where it's needed.

Of course the unsung character is Mars itself. Desolate landscapes create the feeling of a huge isolation, and it's like they sent the documentary makers from "Planet Earth" to shoot the scenes with their high-res aerial photography.

If you've read the book, you'll enjoy the film. If you've seen the film, the book will offer you a more detailed, rounded experience of the story, and is definitely worth a read.

Ridley Scott shows he can still make a great film when given great source material, and when you look at the way it's shot, everything is a lush, detailed visual feast, Scott at his best.

Last edited:
Soldato
Suitable for a 13 year old?

I think he says the F-word once, mouths it a few times, and it's implied a few more times in the censored text messages that are exchanged between him and NASA later in the film. Apart from that, there's a few scary situations, a tiny bit of blood here and there, and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom